Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Kfir Lavi

Default Marvell switch 6131 and the DSA driver

Hi,
I'm not able to register to netdev, so I'm asking here.
Something is wrong with the mailing list server there.

There is driver for Marvell switches in the kernel:
Networking support --->
Networking options --->
Distributed Switch Architecture support --->
--- Distributed Switch Architecture support[*] Marvell 88E6060 ethernet switch chip support[*] Marvell 88E6131 ethernet switch chip support[*] Marvell 88E6123/6161/6165 ethernet switch chip support

I have an evaluation board from Marvell that connects for now via USB.
lsusb shows the switch, but the kernel don't activate the DSA driver
for this switch.
Reading the drivers code, I see just mentioning of mii_bus.
It seems that the kernel doesn't make the connection between the
device found on the USB bus, and the DSA driver in the kernel.
There are usb wireless dongles, so I assume the kernel know how
to handle network hardware on top USB.
Can someone help me understand this?

Thanks,
Kfir

Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Manuel Lauss

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:
> * *--- Distributed Switch Architecture support
> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6060 ethernet switch chip support
> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6131 ethernet switch chip support
> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6123/6161/6165 ethernet switch chip support
>
> I have an evaluation board from Marvell that connects for now via USB.
> lsusb shows the switch, but the kernel don't activate the DSA driver
> for this switch.
> Reading the drivers code, I see just mentioning of mii_bus.
> It seems that the kernel doesn't make the connection between the
> device found on the USB bus, and the DSA driver in the kernel.
> There are usb wireless dongles, so I assume the kernel know how
> to handle network hardware on top USB.
> Can someone help me understand this?

mii is a bus between a network controller ("mac") and one or more phy chips,
to manage link properties.

do you have a manual for the board? what does it say about what you can
do with the usb link?

Manuel

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Kfir Lavi

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Manuel Lauss
<manuel.lauss@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * *--- Distributed Switch Architecture support
>> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6060 ethernet switch chip support
>> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6131 ethernet switch chip support
>> * *[*] * Marvell 88E6123/6161/6165 ethernet switch chip support
>>
>> I have an evaluation board from Marvell that connects for now via USB.
>> lsusb shows the switch, but the kernel don't activate the DSA driver
>> for this switch.
>> Reading the drivers code, I see just mentioning of mii_bus.
>> It seems that the kernel doesn't make the connection between the
>> device found on the USB bus, and the DSA driver in the kernel.
>> There are usb wireless dongles, so I assume the kernel know how
>> to handle network hardware on top USB.
>> Can someone help me understand this?
>
> mii is a bus between a network controller ("mac") and one or more phy chips,
> to manage link properties.
>
> do you have a manual for the board? what does it say about what you can
> do with the usb link?
>

> Manuel

We have configured this board via USB using windows, so I guess I
should be able to use the board over USB.

Kfir