Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Peter Stuge

Default How to manage multiple distributions, cross compilers in one chroot environment

Kfir Lavi wrote:
> What I want is a way to keep few compilers environments.
> lets say:
> stable x86 compiler
> unstable x86 compiler
> few arm cross compilers.
>
> So when I create a distribution and an few month time I want the
> same exactly environment, to compile and upgrade few packages and
> be sure not to break anything, I want to keep those version of the
> compilers.
..
> Can we boost up crossdev,

No boosting neccessary. Just use crossdev with some explicit version
numbers for all components, and you get excellent repeatability.

As for distro creater, I use catalyst to build a stage4 and stage5.
Not sure how well that works for cross platform however, I only use
on amd64 to build for various x86, and this may be a special case.

//Peter

Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Peter Stuge

Kfir Lavi wrote:
> Ok, lets say I create a special crossdev. I still get it in
> /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> which is very generic.
> Can't I have few compilers at a time?

Doh! Good point. I don't have an answer for that one.

> > As for distro creater, I use catalyst to build a stage4 and stage5.
..
> I'll take a look on catalyst.
> Can you refer me to a good introduction/manual ?
> The gentoo page is not enough for me.

Sorry, I don't know of any manual besides the web page and the man
page. There are some examples in the package, I would suggest to just
try to use them, and see what happens and how it works.

Copy the example stage4.spec, edit, then run

catalyst -f stage4.spec

For embedded things I would seriously consider making a new profile.
It may also be neccessary to make a copy of /etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf
and specify that with -c, in order to have special environment
settings during the build. Some examples from my env file:

export INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse"
export VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa"
export CAMERAS="ptp2"
export LINGUAS="en sv"
export SANE_BACKENDS="plustek"