-   -   How to manage multiple distributions, cross compilers in one chroot environment (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/473091-how-manage-multiple-distributions-cross-compilers-one-chroot-environment.html)

Kfir Lavi 01-06-2011 09:07 AM

How to manage multiple distributions, cross compilers in one chroot environment

Hi,
Continueing the discussion started by my last thread "CBUILD= HOSTCC=-gcc",
I said I want to compile a cross compiler with a special name.
I wanted i686-gentoo.edge-linux-gnu but it is possible to do just i686-pc-linux-gnu

I did this because crossdev creates some magic setting up things, and it is very handy.
What I want is a way to keep few compilers environments.
lets say:
stable x86 compiler
unstable x86 compiler
few arm cross compilers.

So when I create a distribution and an few month time I want the same exactly environment,
to compile and upgrade few packages and be sure not to break anything, I want to keep
those version of the compilers.

I'll also need some way to have few forks of my initial system.
lets say:
emebedded board 1 - for customer A
emebedded board 1 - for customer B (it is different than A, by time of creation and so by version of the compiler used).

emebedded board 2 - for customer C

Can we boost up crossdev, or I need to start hacking a distro_creator utility for gentoo?

Regards,
Kfir

Kfir Lavi 01-07-2011 05:29 PM

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:

Kfir Lavi wrote:

> What I want is a way to keep few compilers environments.

> lets say:

> stable x86 compiler

> unstable x86 compiler

> few arm cross compilers.

> So when I create a distribution and an few month time I want the

> same exactly environment, to compile and upgrade few packages and

> be sure not to break anything, I want to keep those version of the

> compilers.

..

> Can we boost up crossdev,

No boosting neccessary. Just use crossdev with some explicit version

numbers for all components, and you get excellent repeatability.

Ok, lets say I create a special crossdev. I still get it in /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu,
which is very generic.
Can't I have few compilers at a time?

As for distro creater, I use catalyst to build a stage4 and stage5.

Not sure how well that works for cross platform however, I only use

on amd64 to build for various x86, and this may be a special case.

I'll take a look on catalyst.
Can you refer me to a good introduction/manual ?
The gentoo page is not enough for me.
*

//Peter

Enrico Weigelt 02-05-2011 02:34 PM

* Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> schrieb:

> > No boosting neccessary. Just use crossdev with some explicit version
> > numbers for all components, and you get excellent repeatability.
> >
> > Ok, lets say I create a special crossdev. I still get it in
> /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> which is very generic.
> Can't I have few compilers at a time?

Even it might get off scope of this Gentoo specific list:
you can easily do this with crosstool-ng and Briegel.

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666