Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Christopher Friedt

Default small replacement for emerge for live package-management?

Hi everyone,

Are there any pointers for a light(er) weight package manager for
embedded devices with <= 16 MB of flash storage ?

I've grown accustomed to using emerge to build binary packages for all
of my boards. Up until now we've just blasted the binary packages onto
our boards in the shop, but we're turning towards updates on live
systems in the field.

Paludis has struck my interest but I'm just not sure what the runtime
requirements are, and how well it deals with normal gentoo binary tbz2's
(and their metadata). I think that libstdc++.so is a bit too big for our
boards, so any options with C++ dependencies are likely out the door.

Having python on our boards is not really an option either, and
therefore the factory 'emerge' also won't work (or will it??).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure that some of you have dealt
with the same problem before.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Christopher Friedt

Something like iPkg is ideal because it was built specifically for this
purpose - but I really have no interest in switching do a Debian based
distro.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
"01flipstar@web.de"

Hey,

Natanael Copa wrote a convert script for tbz2 -> apkg (alpinelinux.org).
Converting to ipkg is also possible if you make some changes to the script.

Cheers
--
flip