Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
wireless

Default x86 flags

Hello,

Well, I got a alix.2D3+b board with an onboard Geode LX.

I intend to set up embedded Gentoo on this system,
eventually.

But first, I want to set up some old x86 hardware
on 4G CF cards, along with the Alix and TS boards, just to
get all of the hardware up and working. I have these (old
PC) systems {AMD-K6, i586, Pentium2, p3 and p4} and these
SBC {Alix.2D3-B (Geode) and TS-5500 (AMD elon-SC520)}.

I want to set up a simple gentoo install on
a 4G CF that will boot all of the machines above,
test hardware and then get individual, optimized
embedded gentoo running on these platforms some time in
the future. I have several of the CF cards, so a single
image that boots all of the aforementioned hardware, is the
goal.

Here is my proposed make.conf (generic x86) settings:

CHOST="i586-PC-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="-* -nls ncurses ssl crypt berkdb perl pcre
python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog "

Maybe add these flags {fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge}
or will that be redundant?

Any refinements or suggestions that will work across
the broad range of x86 machines are most welcome.

Later, once I start building embedded gentoo from a cross
compiled environment, I still want to keep the same flag
settings across all of these x86 variants, loosing some
performance, but being able to use a singular set of
binaries on these minimalist (x86) systems.

Your comments and observations are most welcome.

James