Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Jakub Ladman

Default cirrus ep93xx chips / maverick crunch

* gcc failed
* If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
* /var/log/portage/cross-armv4t-maverick-linux-gnueabi-info.log
* /var/log/portage/cross-armv4t-maverick-linux-gnueabi-gcc-stage1.log

Do you know how to build it with uclibc library?
And can you help me with building it natively? I have a fully functional
gentoo on EP9307 with softfloat and uclibc and i would like to have compiler
with maverick supported.
Thank you

Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
wireless

Jakub Ladman wrote:
> * gcc failed
> * If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
> * /var/log/portage/cross-armv4t-maverick-linux-gnueabi-info.log
> * /var/log/portage/cross-armv4t-maverick-linux-gnueabi-gcc-stage1.log
>

> Do you know how to build it with uclibc library?

NO

I was successful building with crossdev using:

crossdev -t arm-unknown-linux-gnu

However I wanted the Maverick FPU capability so after
several attemps (all posted to this group) I got it to work.
Here's what I did:

Look carefully at the Web page Christopher has posted:
http://perpetual-notion.blogspot.com/2008/02/maverick-crunch-eabi-support-for.html

Down the page a ways, you can glean the 'heart' of Christopher's method:

"
and then create the toolchain.

rm -Rf ${MAVERICK_OVERLAY} &&
mkdir -p ${MAVERICK_OVERLAY} &&
wget -O - ${OVERLAY_SRC}/maverick.tar.bz2 |
tar xpjf - -C ${MAVERICK_OVERLAY} &&

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${CROSSDEV_OVERLAY}
${MAVERICK_OVERLAY}"
EXTRA_ECONF="--with-cpu=arm920t
--with-fpu=maverick --with-float-abi=softfp"
USE="-gcj -gtk -fortran -mudflap"
FEATURES="buildpkg"
crossdev -S
--l 2.5-r4 --g 4.1.2 --b 2.17-r1
${MYHOST}
"

For whatever reason it did not work as a whole ( not sure why)
so I broke it down to several steps:

Make dirs:

cd /usr/local/portage/
mkdir crossdev_overlay
mkdir maverick_overlay

Download his 'maverick.tar.bz2' file

I used a web browser can gleaned it to be in this dir
(which is where I pointed my web browser):
http://vaiprime.visibleassets.com/~cfriedt/maverick.tar.bz2
(does not seem to be working today)

and unpack it in the
dir he says to (see the above script):

cd maverick_overlay/
tar xpjf ./maverick.tar.bz2

Then I just issued this command:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/crossdev_overlay
/usr/local/portage/maverick_ove
rlay" ECONF_EXTRA="--disable-nls --enable-shared --with-system-zlib
--without-includ
ed-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-clocale=gnu
--with-fpu=maverick --with-fl
oat-abi=softfp --with-cpu=ep9312 --enable-languages=c,c++" USE="-gcj
-gtk -fortran -
mudflap" crossdev -S --l 2.5-r4 --g 4.1.2 --b 2.17-r1
armv4t-maverick-linux-gnueabi

So this gets you a working cross compiler
(which I have not used yet).

The next step, which I have not had time to do, is follow
the guidance of the folks at Imac who tell me putting a
32meg SD card into their board should allow me to boot
off of several different images without removing their kernel:

" The only thing I would add is that you can boot filesystems from the
SD card. This will allow you to have your 2 bootable images.
The kernel must be stored in the flash but this takes up much less
room and you could easily store more than one.

Example redboot command for booting from an SD card:

load -v -r -b 0x80000 zImage-IPAC-9302-e1.2
exec -c "console=ttyAM0,57600 root=/dev/mmca1 rootfstype=ext3"

This will load a kernel from flash into memory (SDRAM), and execute it
with the boot args in quotes. The boot args here will tell it which
tty port to use for console input/output, and specify the location of
the root filesystem as being in the mmca device on partition 1 with
and ext3 filesystem."

So for now, that's all I have (consulting work keeps me running like
an interupt processor with no return vector.....).

If you read chris's page over and over, it becomes clear what he has
done and what he is doing. If you cannot find the maverick.tar.bz2
file then ask Christopher to post it somewhere for you or provide
a direct like. If you fiddle with his script, I'm sure you can get
it to work natively......

Some of my make.conf entries conflicted, and I was too tired to
reconcile all of that, at this time.

HTH,

James

Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Jakub Ladman

Hello

Does anybody have a ebuild to emerge maverick-cruch and eabi gcc compiler
natively on ep93xx powered board?
Thank you

Best regards
Jakub Ladman

Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Christopher Friedt

Hi ep93xx users,

I've finally finished what I thought would be the never-ending HowTo -
well... really it's the first of several that are related.

Hopefully this provides a concise procedure

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_the_TS72xx_Single_Board_Computer_(Full_ Distro)

There are instructions for creating

* a cross-toolchain, and
* a full distro on a USB key

There are also links to my personal maverick and ts72xx overlays.

The rootfs that I created is quite large though becuase I never bothered
to strip out headers, man pages, static libs, and so on, but you should
be able to figure that out. If so, please edit the page yourself in an
appropriate place or just send me something and I'll take care of it.

If anyone wants to work on a more recent gcc that supports the gcj/eabi
combination, that would be fantastic.

I'd like to get the cross-fortran compiler working at some point. I
think this should pretty much be as easy as saying

xmerge mpfr gmp
USE="fortran" emerge cross-armv4tl-maverick-linux-gnueabi/gcc

but I could be completely off my rocker.

Once I get a bit more work done, I'd be happy to make my BPR available
as well.

Njoy!

Cheers,

Chris

Old 02-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Christopher Friedt

Jakub Ladman wrote:

Do you know how to build it with uclibc library?
And can you help me with building it natively? I have a fully functional
gentoo on EP9307 with softfloat and uclibc and i would like to have compiler
with maverick supported.

Thank you

Sorry, I haven't gotten quite there yet. That's next week ;-)