Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Joakim Tjernlund

Default e300c3/c3 cpu support for glibc ports

This is what I came up with to make glibc support
--with-cpu=e300c2
Note that one needs to do: export libc_cv_cc_submachine="-mcpu=e300c2"
before running crossdev else glibc-headers failes later.

Jocke

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday, September 24, 2010 12:22:19 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> This is what I came up with to make glibc support
> --with-cpu=e300c2

mail it to libc-ports ?
-mike

Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Joakim Tjernlund

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/25 08:07:15:

> On Friday, September 24, 2010 12:22:19 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > This is what I came up with to make glibc support
> > --with-cpu=e300c2
>
> mail it to libc-ports ?

Sent to:
libc-ports@sources.redhat.com
I hope that is the correct address.

Jocke

Old 09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Joakim Tjernlund

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/25 08:07:15:

> On Friday, September 24, 2010 12:22:19 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > This is what I came up with to make glibc support
> > --with-cpu=e300c2
>
> mail it to libc-ports ?

Upstream doesn't want it as it only adds --with-cpu= syntax
and don't change anything else.
That implies crossdev needs to grow support different configure options
for glibc/gcc/binutils etc.
I guess that is the normal way non gentoo devs builds toolchains?

Jocke

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday, September 27, 2010 10:55:32 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote on 2010/09/25 08:07:15:
> > On Friday, September 24, 2010 12:22:19 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > > This is what I came up with to make glibc support
> > > --with-cpu=e300c2
> >
> > mail it to libc-ports ?
>
> Upstream doesn't want it as it only adds --with-cpu= syntax
> and don't change anything else.
> That implies crossdev needs to grow support different configure options
> for glibc/gcc/binutils etc.
> I guess that is the normal way non gentoo devs builds toolchains?

portage already has per-package env support
-mike

Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Joakim Tjernlund

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/28 04:33:38:

> From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
> To: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se>
> Cc: gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org
> Date: 2010/09/28 05:00
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] e300c3/c3 cpu support for glibc ports
>
> On Monday, September 27, 2010 10:55:32 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Mike Frysinger wrote on 2010/09/25 08:07:15:
> > >
> > > mail it to libc-ports ?
> >
> > Upstream doesn't want it as it only adds --with-cpu= syntax
> > and don't change anything else.
> > That implies crossdev needs to grow support different configure options
> > for glibc/gcc/binutils etc.
> > I guess that is the normal way non gentoo devs builds toolchains?
>
> portage already has per-package env support

But you said earlier:
you'd have to use per-package env manually:
/etc/portage/env/$CATEGORY/$PN

but crossdev likes to clobber this file for you. so i guess i should
extend crossdev with --env-xxx options so people can add their own.

So currently there is no way to pass in different configure options?

I would be happy some extra env var like
CROSS_CC_CONF
CROSS_LIBC_CONF
that would be appended to EXTRA_ECONF

configure options that gets passed directly to crossdev
works too.

Jocke

Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 02:55:13 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/28 04:33:38:

> > > Upstream doesn't want it as it only adds --with-cpu= syntax
> > > and don't change anything else.
> > > That implies crossdev needs to grow support different configure options
> > > for glibc/gcc/binutils etc.
> > > I guess that is the normal way non gentoo devs builds toolchains?
> >
> > portage already has per-package env support
>
> But you said earlier:
> you'd have to use per-package env manually:
> /etc/portage/env/$CATEGORY/$PN
>
> but crossdev likes to clobber this file for you. so i guess i should
> extend crossdev with --env-xxx options so people can add their own.
>
> So currently there is no way to pass in different configure options?
>
> I would be happy some extra env var like
> CROSS_CC_CONF
> CROSS_LIBC_CONF
> that would be appended to EXTRA_ECONF
>
> configure options that gets passed directly to crossdev
> works too.

yes, per-package env vars arent working optimal today, but my point is that
that is the only thing i'm going to support. it isnt worth the hassle of
designing custom variables & options which ultimately boil down to
EXTRA_ECONF. we have EXTRA_ECONF already which means it is left up to the
user to set them accordingly.
-mike

Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Joakim Tjernlund

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/28 10:16:58:

> On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 02:55:13 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2010/09/28 04:33:38:

> > > portage already has per-package env support
> >
> > But you said earlier:
> > you'd have to use per-package env manually:
> > /etc/portage/env/$CATEGORY/$PN
> >
> > but crossdev likes to clobber this file for you. so i guess i should
> > extend crossdev with --env-xxx options so people can add their own.
> >
> > So currently there is no way to pass in different configure options?
> >
> > I would be happy some extra env var like
> > CROSS_CC_CONF
> > CROSS_LIBC_CONF
> > that would be appended to EXTRA_ECONF
> >
> > configure options that gets passed directly to crossdev
> > works too.
>
> yes, per-package env vars arent working optimal today, but my point is that
> that is the only thing i'm going to support. it isnt worth the hassle of
> designing custom variables & options which ultimately boil down to
> EXTRA_ECONF. we have EXTRA_ECONF already which means it is left up to the
> user to set them accordingly.

Yes, it is a pity EXTRA_ECONF doesn't work here.

BTW, is there a way to tell crossdev/gcc not to build/install powerpc64-*
tools? I have no need for them and they just get in my way.

Jocke.

Jocke