Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
wireless

Default JTAG (Linux) article

Hello,

There is an article in the September 2010 Embedded System
Magazine, which features a story about how to use a JTAG
(less than $100 usd) on an embedded linux kernel for debugging.

If anyone is interested, drop me some email and I'll forward
the zip file to you:

cmp_esd0910_pdf.zip

in case you want to search in out for yourself.

James

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
wireless

Previously you wrote:
> Hello,
>

> There is an article in the September 2010 Embedded System
> Magazine, which features a story about how to use a JTAG
> (less than $100 usd) on an embedded linux kernel for debugging.
>

> If anyone is interested, drop me some email and I'll forward
> the zip file to you:
>
> cmp_esd0910_pdf.zip
>
> in case you want to search in out for yourself.
>

> James

Several folks have asked for the zip file.

The device/article are based on software, found in portage
(very cool, but a version bump is needed)...

http://openocd.berlios.de

dev-embedded/openocd

hth,
James

Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Peter Stuge

wireless wrote:
> The device/article are based on software, found in portage
> (very cool, but a version bump is needed)...
>
> http://openocd.berlios.de
>
> dev-embedded/openocd

There haven't been any more upstream releases, although there is
definately upstream activity. I guess a git ebuild would be nice..

//Peter

Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Peter Stuge

wireless wrote:
> Several folks have asked for the zip file.

It's actually available from the publisher already. Look for a link
on http://embedded.com/ down in the right column.

"PDF of ESD's Digital Edition."

http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/save/index.php?book_id=__NXT__d6d22c6846b4d21f00eda86ff 3bdd505&pdf=1

//Peter

Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 PM
wireless

Previously you wrote:
> wireless wrote:
>> The device/article are based on software, found in portage
>> (very cool, but a version bump is needed)...
>>
>> http://openocd.berlios.de
>>
>> dev-embedded/openocd
>
> There haven't been any more upstream releases, although there is
> definately upstream activity. I guess a git ebuild would be nice..

http://openocd.berlios.de/web/?m=201002
this shows version 0.4.0:

OpenOCD v0.4.0 released Monday, February 22nd, 2010

ARM looks to be the most active platform for openocd

portage has version ~0.3.1

James

Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Peter Stuge

wireless wrote:
> > There haven't been any more upstream releases, although there is
> > definately upstream activity. I guess a git ebuild would be nice..
>
> http://openocd.berlios.de/web/?m=201002
> this shows version 0.4.0:
>
> OpenOCD v0.4.0 released Monday, February 22nd, 2010
>
> ARM looks to be the most active platform for openocd
>
> portage has version ~0.3.1

Oh sorry! I forgot that not even 0.4.0 is in portage. : But I do
suggest a git version. Upstream development is pretty stable.

And! There *is* a git ebuild already, from March. I guess just unmask
it and emerge.

echo 'dev-embedded/openocd **' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge openocd -av

Yes you're right, ARM is the major platform and works well, but I
don't believe it is meant to *only* do ARM.

//Peter

Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 19:44:20 Peter Stuge wrote:
> wireless wrote:
> > > There haven't been any more upstream releases, although there is
> > > definately upstream activity. I guess a git ebuild would be nice..
> >
> > http://openocd.berlios.de/web/?m=201002
> > this shows version 0.4.0:
> >
> > OpenOCD v0.4.0 released Monday, February 22nd, 2010
> >
> > ARM looks to be the most active platform for openocd
> >
> > portage has version ~0.3.1
>
> Oh sorry! I forgot that not even 0.4.0 is in portage. : But I do
> suggest a git version. Upstream development is pretty stable.

i guess someone should step up to be a maintainer for openocd. i have no
personal interest in it as we use urjtag at my job, so that's what i watch
over (up and down stream).
-mike

Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Peter Stuge

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i guess someone should step up to be a maintainer for openocd.

Yeah. I'm on the right way, but am too busy doing many things..

//Peter

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike Dunn

On 09/20/2010 12:35 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> i guess someone should step up to be a maintainer for openocd.
> Yeah. I'm on the right way, but am too busy doing many things..
>

> //Peter
I'm a gentoo user and also an openocd user. I'm also an openocd contributor,
mostly bug fixes on the xscale target. I'm not a gentoo developer, but I've
been using it for many years. I'm able and willing to help out, if someone
would be willing to sponsor / mentor me.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 AM
solar

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 14:03 -0700, Mike Dunn wrote:
> On 09/20/2010 12:35 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >> i guess someone should step up to be a maintainer for openocd.
> > Yeah. I'm on the right way, but am too busy doing many things..
> >

> > //Peter
> I'm a gentoo user and also an openocd user. I'm also an openocd contributor,
> mostly bug fixes on the xscale target. I'm not a gentoo developer, but I've
> been using it for many years. I'm able and willing to help out, if someone
> would be willing to sponsor / mentor me.

Thanks for the offer. openocd is only one package, so it's best to have
somebody proxy maintain it. Personaly I've always used the openocd-9999
pkg.

--
solar <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux