Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Default Wiki/informal docs?

Hi folks,

I'm doing a lot of fun work with my spankin' SheevaPlug and GuruPlugs.
I'm documenting some of what I'm doing, because I'll forget the process
in 3 months. It seems that the "official" gentoo wiki project has
either stalled or is being done behind the curtain (if so, contrary to
how wikis are best used...). Can we make a forum on f.g.o just for
"Embedded Gentoo"? Then we can at least have howtos/stickies/heads up
notices and the like, and allow users like me to post and collaborate.
What do you think?

(Please reply to the list only. Thanks. )

Cheers,
Jesse Adelman
San Francisco, CA

Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Martin Guy

On 6/11/10, jesse@boldandbusted.com <jesse@boldandbusted.com> wrote:
> It seems that the "official" gentoo wiki project has
> either stalled or is being done behind the curtain

The gentoo wiki was maintained by an individual who managed to lose
the entire thing in a server crash and not have any backups. An object
lesson in "how to do throw away a ton of other people's time and
knowledge with as little effort as possible, while simultaneously
doing a small lobotomy to the world mind".

wiki.gentoo.org would be the most sensible place - it might be backed
up independently by more than one person that way - but it's
username-password locked even for reading, which completely defeats
the point of a technical wiki in open-source world.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Sven Rebhan

Hey,

please add your docu to http://gentoo.mindzoo.de !

Regards,

Sven

Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM
David Ford

further, many people attempted to restore pages by reposting from cache
and places like way back web. however the powers that be for that site
fully rejected said content since it didn't match their new format. so
nearly every google page you hit ends up '404'.

-d