Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Sergey Mironov

Default ebuild deps and cross-compiling

Hello.
I am maintaining small arm tree built with gentoo crosstools. My
rootfs is based on busybox, which has implementation of udev (called
mdev). My questions are about bad things i found while working with
it.

Recently i have to compile sys-devel/libtool to get libltdl - one of
its runtime libs. The ebuild has following deps:

RDEPEND="sys-devel/gnuconfig
>=sys-devel/autoconf-2.60
>=sys-devel/automake-1.10.1"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
|| ( app-arch/xz-utils app-arch/lzma-utils )
sys-apps/help2man"

I think that auto* tools are not required on target system for ltdl to
work. More, those auto-tools implicitly require bash which is not
installed in system.

I solved the problem by fixing the ebuild in local overlay but it is
just workaround. Should i register a libtool bug? Maybe (just guess)
one should split libtool into 'runtime' and 'buildtime' packets?

Here is another issue:
Lets look at dev-libs/openct ebuild.

RDEPEND="pcsc-lite? ( sys-apps/pcsc-lite )
usb? ( virtual/libusb:0 )
>=sys-fs/udev-096"

My system doesn't have udev. It has mdev from busybox. Openct docs
says that mdev is ok, so should i register an ebuild-bug and suggest
something like 'udev useflag'? There are util-linux dependencies,
which are also incompatible with busybox. I am in doubt.

Will be glad to hear your opinion.

--
Thanks,
Sergey