Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Iwan Aucamp

Default Wireless Router

I'm looking for a device which I intend to use as a wireless router with
atleast following: 1xusb, 2xethernet, 2xmini-pci(e).

I found this :
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8377EWLAN
A bit pricey for what you get - but quite reasonable - would likely be
cheaper if it was for mass market - think they maybe sell 100 a year if
that.

I have looked also at:

- routerboard : mikrotik doesn't really want to help people to load
other OS on it - and it's a mission from what i've seen to do it
- alix : a bit slow - and I don't really like the amd geode (seems
like its not really made for router applications)
- routerstation pro : probably best option price wise - but a bit more
power would be nice - and board layout is bit awkward.

Any other ideas ?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Janusz Syrytczyk

> I have looked also at:
>
> - routerboard : mikrotik doesn't really want to help people to load
> other OS on it - and it's a mission from what i've seen to do it

is that help really needed? I haven't go further than booting this to openwrt,
but if the kernel finds devices, what is the limit?

http://manio.skyboo.net/mikrotik/

Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Bob Dunlop

> - routerboard : mikrotik doesn't really want to help people to load
> other OS on it - and it's a mission from what i've seen to do it

I think you are maligning routerboard somewhat there.
I have a coworker who is running debian on a routerboard without any major
problem, and looking at the website[1][2] they list linux as running on at
least the 153 and 532 products (both MIPS based).

Don't look at the 200 range, that's SC1100 (geode) and I have to agree just
plain nasty.

[1] http://www.routerboard.com/rb100.html
[2] http://www.routerboard.com/rb500.html
--