Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
wireless

Default arm router with 3 ports

Hello,

I'm looking for an arm based router that easily runs
embedded gentoo with at least 3 (100 Mbps speed ok) ethernet
ports.

I'm going to get 3 to teach a couple of teenagers (oh boy)
how to build and maintain their own router. Sooooooo any
suggestions that simply this embedded gentoo effort, are
most welcome. Raw iptables is what I'm use to using.
A wireless port would be good but not required.

James

Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Ed W

I'm looking for an arm based router that easily runs
embedded gentoo with at least 3 (100 Mbps speed ok) ethernet
ports.

I'm going to get 3 to teach a couple of teenagers (oh boy)
how to build and maintain their own router. Sooooooo any
suggestions that simply this embedded gentoo effort, are
most welcome. Raw iptables is what I'm use to using.
A wireless port would be good but not required.

It's not ARM based, but the Alix boards are incredibly cheap ($100) and
come in a 3 port configuration. Loads of horsepower and adequate RAM

I can't think of a 3 port ARM board off the top of my head, but without
looking I think that the Linksys and DLink "linux friendly" routers are
MIPS based?

Is the ARM choice optional? Scan: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

Ed W

Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
wireless

Ed W wrote:

> It's not ARM based, but the Alix boards are incredibly cheap ($100) and
> come in a 3 port configuration. Loads of horsepower and adequate RAM
>
> I can't think of a 3 port ARM board off the top of my head, but without
> looking I think that the Linksys and DLink "linux friendly" routers are
> MIPS based?
>
> Is the ARM choice optional? Scan: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

Maybe, maybe not. No matter. ARM is the hardware platform
I'm looking for. It's just a choice that I like, not a
'better than' choice....

thanks,
James

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Janusz Syrytczyk

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for an arm based router that easily runs
> embedded gentoo with at least 3 (100 Mbps speed ok) ethernet
> ports.
>
> I'm going to get 3 to teach a couple of teenagers (oh boy)
> how to build and maintain their own router. Sooooooo any
> suggestions that simply this embedded gentoo effort, are
> most welcome. Raw iptables is what I'm use to using.
> A wireless port would be good but not required.
>

> James

Those routers are very famous in Europe, but also in AUstralia and now in
China, my company uses dozens of them, know people who have thousands):

http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?started_from_home=1

I would use Gentoo on them if I had a reason, but those routers are just fine
(they include RouterOS, which is in many ways more advanced than many Cisco,
belive or not, I know what I'm saying). It is possible to boot openWRT also,
so Gentoo should be possible here too. They're based on Linux.

If you need 3 ports, just pick RB433 or RB433UAH - second has 680MHz, USB and
3 mPCI slots for WLAN or anything else.

JS

Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Ed W

Those routers are very famous in Europe, but also in AUstralia and now in
China, my company uses dozens of them, know people who have thousands):

http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?started_from_home=1

There are some very cool boards there - however, to my eye it still
highlights what a bargain the Alix boards are if the feature set matches
your needs!

Ed W

Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Janusz Syrytczyk

> On 01/04/2010 21:20, Janusz Syrytczyk wrote:
> > Those routers are very famous in Europe, but also in AUstralia and now in
> > China, my company uses dozens of them, know people who have thousands):
> >
> > http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?started_from_home=1
>
> There are some very cool boards there - however, to my eye it still
> highlights what a bargain the Alix boards are if the feature set matches
> your needs!
>
> Ed W

Not a contest, just my three cents, we're not only on the list :-)

In my local store MikroTik is much cheaper (about 20-30% each) and its just
here, handy, ready to rock.

JS

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
wireless

Janusz Syrytczyk wrote:

>>> http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?started_from_home=1

> In my local store MikroTik is much cheaper (about 20-30% each) and its just
> here, handy, ready to rock.

Sorry, nothing wrong with MIPS or PPC, just not what I'm
looking for. ARM is the target architecture......

Any ARM processor based suggestions?

James

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Ned Ludd

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 16:38 -0400, wireless wrote:

> > In my local store MikroTik is much cheaper (about 20-30% each) and its just
> > here, handy, ready to rock.
>
> Sorry, nothing wrong with MIPS or PPC, just not what I'm
> looking for. ARM is the target architecture......
>

> Any ARM processor based suggestions?

Sorry none. There exist no ARM based routers cuz ARM is not an ideal
arch for routing. Till recently there were no >1G interfaces most were
10/100 and really 10 at that (driver limitations).

I think you will have to design it vs being able to buy it.
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Arkadi Shishlov

On 04/05/10 23:38, wireless wrote:
> Sorry, nothing wrong with MIPS or PPC, just not what I'm
> looking for. ARM is the target architecture......
>

> Any ARM processor based suggestions?

BeagleBoard + USB Ethernet?
or this http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam9-L9260.html

The first one might be a Linux device:
http://www.ovislinkcorp.co.uk/wais1000g.htm
http://www.ovislinkcorp.co.uk/WL-8000VPN.htm

Do you need 3 ports?
Use VLAN tagging or just trust the peers and use single port for all subnets.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
wireless

Arkadi Shishlov wrote:

>> Any ARM processor based suggestions?

> BeagleBoard + USB Ethernet?
> or this http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam9-L9260.html

> The first one might be a Linux device:
> http://www.ovislinkcorp.co.uk/wais1000g.htm
> http://www.ovislinkcorp.co.uk/WL-8000VPN.htm

Yea, they look cool. I could hack usb-ethernet (FTDI) or
such, but, I'm thinking more along the Cortex A9 family
of processors....

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationI d=12843&contentId=53243

> Do you need 3 ports?
> Use VLAN tagging or just trust the peers and use single port for all subnets.

Well, I'm trying to combine several needs into one board
(H.264, routing, security and LOW POWER). Rf(ethernet) is
nice but not necessary. Being Lazy (old and slow), I was
hoping one of the younger (whipper_snappers) was working on
something like this.

I drop an email to the TI FAE and see what they have for
ready to go boards (dev) boards.