-   -   help in choosing DB engine for embedded application (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/349161-help-choosing-db-engine-embedded-application.html)

Mirage ha 03-30-2010 01:24 PM

help in choosing DB engine for embedded application

Dear All,

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this question or not but as you have experience in embedded field i expected

you will help me.

I facing a problem in choosing database engine for my application* my
manager suggested to use files (e.g. txt files ) , i suggested to use
berkeley db.

So could you tell me which is better and if there is better solution ( better db engine) please tell me.

also if there is link to good database benchmark comparison please send it.

Thank you,

M.
--
Never Think Hard About Past,It brings"Tears" Don't think more about future, It brings"Fears" Live this moment with a Smile, It brings"Cheers".

Ed W 03-30-2010 02:30 PM

help in choosing DB engine for embedded application

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this question or
not but as you have experience in embedded field i expected

you will help me.

I facing a problem in choosing database engine for my application my
manager suggested to use files (e.g. txt files ) , i suggested to use
berkeley db.
So could you tell me which is better and if there is better solution (
better db engine) please tell me.
also if there is link to good database benchmark comparison please
send it.

Always depends on your requirements for speed, convenience, features,
crash recovery, insert/delete patterns, etc...

Ed W

Arkadi Shishlov 03-30-2010 02:31 PM

On 03/30/10 16:24, Mirage ha wrote:
> I facing a problem in choosing database engine for my application my
> manager suggested to use files (e.g. txt files ) , i suggested to use
> berkeley db.
> So could you tell me which is better and if there is better solution (
> better db engine) please tell me.

SQLite is pretty popular currently.

Karl Hiramoto 03-30-2010 03:01 PM

help in choosing DB engine for embedded application

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this question or
not but as you have experience in embedded field i expected

you will help me.

I facing a problem in choosing database engine for my application my
manager suggested to use files (e.g. txt files ) , i suggested to use
berkeley db.
So could you tell me which is better and if there is better solution (
better db engine) please tell me.
also if there is link to good database benchmark comparison please
send it.

Thank you,
M.

Depending on the application, I might side with your manager, raw txt or
binary files can be better in many situations.

Depends a lot on the workload, explain the application in general.

What is the most frequent operation a write, read( or search), or
delete? Raw files, txt or binary write() it is very fast. Reading the
file or seraching for something inside a large file can be slow without
indexes, or the ability to binary search. If the data in the file is
already sorted, for example by an incremeting ID, or time, binary
search inside the file can be very fast. Appending data to the end of a
file can be a O(1) operation. A DB engine after the write or delete,
may have to update it's internal indexes, and rebalance its B-Tree, or
update any other internal structures.

How much data? How much I/O?

Is program size important? writing to a file is much smaller program
footprint than a DB engine.

Optimizing for write or erase speed raw files will be faster.
Optimizing for a fast search of data a DB engine will be faster unless
you binary search your data in the files, or index it yourself. If
your going through the trouble of using your own complex indexes, then
you might as well use a DB engine to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

--
Karl

Mirage ha 03-31-2010 08:55 AM

help in choosing DB engine for embedded application

Thanks Peter, Karl,Arkadi,Ed for your detailed replies,

Actually the application doesn't need complex database operations and the most frequent operations are* write and read (no complex search is needed or it is very limited).

It seems i will use binary files :)
*
Thanks again for your fast replay.
Mirage