Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
James Ausmus

Default SOLUTION (partial) was: High Speed Serial Problem

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM, David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Even with a dedicated thread, the program is still receiving multiple
> characters per read. *Calculating average and maximum byte counts for
> each 10,000 reads, I've often seen maximums of 150 and have never seen
> an average under 12. *These numbers occur with VMIN=1 and VTIME=0.
>
> Is there a setting so that the serial port driver will release
> characters sooner (rather than later)?
<snip>

Wasn't involved in the other thread, so my apologies if this has
already been answered/stated, but are you using the realtime kernel
patches? If you run RT-Preempt, then you can set the priority of the
kernel thread that is handling the serial interrupt high than all the
other kernel threads, which should improve your latencies... See
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page for more info.

HTH-

James