Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Peter Stuge

Default ZTE MF100

Mirage ha wrote:
> I want to switch mode of ZTE MF100 from cd-rom storage to modem,but
> when i tried usb_modeswitch i got the following error :
>
> usb_set_debug: Setting debugging level to 15 (on)
> USB error: couldn't opendir(): No such file or directory

Hmm. Maybe the program requires usbfs to be mounted? That is usually
not done on newer Linux systems, and it is not strictly neccessary.

At least for Huawei modems the modeswitch command should be added
into the Linux kernel, so that there is no need to maintain the
separate utility.

> Am i missing some thing?.

I would suggest contributing a modeswitch patch to the Linux kernel.

Second best option would be to update the usb_modeswitch utility so
that it no longer requires usbfs to be mounted.

//Peter

Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Ed W

At least for Huawei modems the modeswitch command should be added
into the Linux kernel, so that there is no need to maintain the
separate utility.

I'm not sure that's a universally preferred option? What if you actually
wanted to access the memory card part of the device?

You would at least need some way to get the kernel to toggle the
hardware around? I would have thought that starts to look like a
userspace utility again...?

It would be nice for these devices to work more easily though..

Ed

Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Peter Stuge

Ed W wrote:
>> At least for Huawei modems the modeswitch command should be added
>> into the Linux kernel, so that there is no need to maintain the
>> separate utility.
>
> I'm not sure that's a universally preferred option? What if you
> actually wanted to access the memory card part of the device?

I believe the memory card reader is always separately available. The
issue is that at first, the device exposes only a CD-ROM with branded
software - stored internally in the modem separately from any memory
card.

> It would be nice for these devices to work more easily though..

Having the modeswitch in the kernel makes it work consistently and
reliably like a modem. I like that a lot.

//Peter

Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Mirage ha