Old 02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Manuel Lauss

Default MIPS32 Rootfs

Hello!

For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation for
FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy" line).

I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of
individual packages at [1] and [2]. The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and
includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. (List of files
at [3] and [4]).

I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Manuel Lauss

[1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2
[2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
[3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
[4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
"Dennis.Yxun"

For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation for

FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy" line).

I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of

individual packages at [1] and [2]. *The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and

includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. *(List of files

at [3] and [4]).

I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.

Thanks and have a nice day,

* * *Manuel Lauss

[1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2

[2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar

[3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS

[4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Hey.. Manuel:
** Great!
** I've tried to cross build Gentoo for mips32 few times ago,
Already have a stage1 image, but never go that far...
** What you've archived here is quite positive to me.

** Thanks

Dennis

Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
wireless

Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation for
> FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy" line).
>
> I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of
> individual packages at [1] and [2]. The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and
> includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. (List of files
> at [3] and [4]).
>
> I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day,
> Manuel Lauss
>
> [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2
> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
> [3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
> [4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Very cool.

Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
codebase works with?

Have you ever tried your distro with the 32 bit MicroChip
(Mips) offering?

Here it looks as though MicroChip intends to support the
Mips M14K core. Is this part of your codebase of support?

http://www.mips.com/news-events/newsroom/?i=43320

James

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
"Dennis.Yxun"

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Manuel Lauss wrote:

> Hello!

> For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation for

> FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy" line).

> I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of

> individual packages at [1] and [2]. *The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and

> includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. *(List of files

> at [3] and [4]).

> I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.

> Thanks and have a nice day,

> * * * Manuel Lauss

> [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2

> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar

> [3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS

> [4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Very cool.

Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your

codebase works with?

Have you ever tried your distro with the 32 bit MicroChip

(Mips) offering?

Here it looks as though MicroChip intends to support the

Mips M14K core. Is this part of your codebase of support?

http://www.mips.com/news-events/newsroom/?i=43320

James

HI James:
Quote from MIPS INC:
** The new MIPS32 M14KTM and M14KcTM cores are the first MIPS32-compatible cores that also execute the new microMIPSTM instruction set architecture (ISA)

** I have little experience here. If you are using some generic compile flags, say "-EL -mips32 -msoft-float", then the result rootfs should words for 14K core, also 4kec/24K

** Cheers

Dennis

Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Manuel Lauss

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
> codebase works with?

It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core. As I explained in the
original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores. The whole system is built with a softfloat
toolchain to avoid the in-kernel CP1 emulator (which is sloooow).

I'll keep updating it; so if you need any other apps or use flags set then
I'll he be more than happy to provide them (I let a few boards compile stuff
overnight as a stability test).

Thanks,
Manuel Lauss

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
wireless

Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
>> codebase works with?
>
> It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core. As I explained in the
> original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
> FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores.

I should have stated that I know little of MIPS arch. I do
not know the differences, subtle or published between the
M14K and the Mips32 (vanilla() cores. I mostly asked because
I know of several folks that are looking for some form of
open source embedded linux for the Microchip 32 bit
processors. Since you indicate that it should work, I'll
send these folks to your links.

> The whole system is built with a softfloat
> toolchain to avoid the in-kernel CP1 emulator (which is sloooow).
>
> I'll keep updating it; so if you need any other apps or use flags set then
> I'll he be more than happy to provide them (I let a few boards compile stuff
> overnight as a stability test).
>
> Thanks,
> Manuel Lauss

thanks,
James

Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Manuel Lauss

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Manuel Lauss wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
>>> codebase works with?
>>
>> It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core. *As I explained in the
>> original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
>> FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores.
>

> I should have stated that I know little of MIPS arch. I do
> not know the differences, subtle *or published between the
> M14K and the Mips32 (vanilla() cores. I mostly asked because
> I know of several folks that are looking for some form of
> open source embedded linux for the Microchip 32 bit
> processors. Since you indicate that it should work, I'll
> send *these folks to your links.

I don't know the PIC32, but the target CPU needs to have an MMU,
this collection is based on glibc, not uclibc.

Manuel Lauss

Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Manuel Lauss

Hello,

I've uploaded new snapshots:

Highlights are:
- based on portage tree from march 7, 2010
- rebuilt all packages with gcc-4.4.3 (MIPS PLT default enabled)
- perl-5.10.1 + rebuild of all dependencies
- removed a few stray libraries and binaries
- added a small overlay with patched ebuilds to /etc/portage/overlay
(MIPS-related patches for toolchain, softfloat patches for others).

Get them here:
http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100308.tar.lzma
http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-packages-100308.tar

Thanks,