Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
wireless

Default OT: ? Embedded Patent Fraud

Hello,

It's not often that I would interject a subject like this
into a Gentoo discuss. However, from my reading of this
patent, the awardee may be able to cause significant grief
to anyone that use a uP, FPGA, or such with at CPU/GPU.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2 FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN %2F7607005

Hopefully, some of you will read about this patent and
conclude that this no way affects any embedded linux system
or any form of programmable embedded linux device,
particularly any where reconfigurable or programmable
hardware is contained therein....

This patent looks like the poster child for embedded system,
that should not have been issued. Hopefully Europeans are
not this stupid to allow this sort of patent-garbage to even
be filled, let alone enforced.

I see little in the way of original thought or work as every
claim made by the filers has existed before, from my
experiences. The "moron" that reviewed this:
"Primary Examiner: Connolly; Mark "
must be clueless about embedded systems, imho.

your thoughts?

James

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Peter Stuge

wireless wrote:
> This patent looks like the poster child for embedded system,
> that should not have been issued.

Pretty much, it looks like. It covers any CPU+FPGA system where the
FPGA is used for any of signal I/O, co-processing, HID, graphics,
signal processing, communications and battery charging.

I'm sorry, but I find it too hilarious that "a system with an FPGA"
can be patented. It's a little bit like patenting the patent system..

> Hopefully Europeans are not this stupid to allow this sort of
> patent-garbage to even be filled, let alone enforced.

I wouldn't bet on it..

//Peter

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
wireless

Peter Stuge wrote:
> wireless wrote:
>> This patent looks like the poster child for embedded system,
>> that should not have been issued.
>
> Pretty much, it looks like. It covers any CPU+FPGA system where the
> FPGA is used for any of signal I/O, co-processing, HID, graphics,
> signal processing, communications and battery charging.
>
> I'm sorry, but I find it too hilarious that "a system with an FPGA"
> can be patented. It's a little bit like patenting the patent system..

Wide open was my take too. Way to broad, so I sure it will
get challenged as soon as somebody tries to enforce it. The
real danger is if somebody like Microsoft buys the patent,
then there is trouble against small companies who innovate.

>> Hopefully Europeans are not this stupid to allow this sort of
>> patent-garbage to even be filled, let alone enforced.
>
> I wouldn't bet on it..
>

> //Peter

I find this most disturbing. America is owned by lawyers and
crooks, in the disguise of corporation. Europe was the last
bastion of anti-imperialism........?

No wonder most startups build their products in S. America
or Asia and just import them to the US....... and
politicians are looking for jobs?

Fix the stupid patent system....

/end/rant

James

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Martin Guy

On 2/9/10, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> wireless wrote:
> > This patent looks like the poster child for embedded system,
> > that should not have been issued.
> Pretty much, it looks like. It covers any CPU+FPGA system where the
> FPGA is used for any of signal I/O, co-processing, HID, graphics,
> signal processing, communications and battery charging.

It should be unenforceable due to prior art (and should not have been
granted for the same reason). Of course, the idiots in question might
still try to waste your time. Intellectual property? Intellectual
theft!