Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
"Phani Babu Giddi"

Default using gentoo-embedded on Fedora 8

Hello All,
*
I have a Fedora Core 8 based desktop and want to use it for using the gentoo-embedded for creating cross compiling tools, generating root file system and building linux kernel image and things like that...
*
So is it possible or is it necessary that for using gentoo-embedded the host should be based on gentoo only ? I came across a script which creates the portage/emerge and other tools but not sure if Fedora will continue to work. Pleaes let me know.

*
Regards,
Phani

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Ned Ludd

In order to do what you are trying to accomplish, you should create a
gentoo based chroot and do all your work in there. It will ease the
pains caused by using a setup we never intended.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 AM
"Phani Babu Giddi"

Hi Ned,
*
That means I would still have to install Gentoo on a different partition and chroot to this partition whenever I have to generate the cross-devel related tools. Is that right ? Because once i generate the cross development tools chain I would not have to go back to this.

*
Regards,
Phani

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Ned Ludd

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 20:11 -0800, Phani Babu Giddi wrote:
> Hi Ned,
>
> That means I would still have to install Gentoo on a different
> partition and chroot to this partition whenever I have to generate the
> cross-devel related tools. Is that right ? Because once i generate the
> cross development tools chain I would not have to go back to this.

No need to re-slice up your disk. Simply.

mkdir /opt/gentoo
cd /opt/gentoo
wget -O - -q $SOME_STAGEBALL | tar -jxvf -
cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/
chroot . /bin/bash --login
emerge --sync
$EDITOR /etc/make.conf
emerge crossdev
crossdev -t XXXXXXXXXXX -options XXXX --more_options XXXX

profit...

Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 AM
"Phani Babu Giddi"

Hi Ned,
*
Many thanks, that is so cool. Otherwise I was planning to get tools for reducing the partition size and ....
*
Thanks,
Phani

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
matt hull

not sure what gentoo packages you want, but gentoo alt/prefix can be
in stalled in ~ and used by user. it is useable but still in
develpment and uses its own package tree at the moment so not sure
if the packages you want are in the tree.

matt

Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Matthijs Kooijman

> mkdir /opt/gentoo
> cd /opt/gentoo
> wget -O - -q $SOME_STAGEBALL | tar -jxvf -
> cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/
> chroot . /bin/bash --login
> emerge --sync
> $EDITOR /etc/make.conf
> emerge crossdev
> crossdev -t XXXXXXXXXXX -options XXXX --more_options XXXX
I'm using exactly this, but on Debian instead of Fedora. Works perfectly. Even
manages to run a 32 bit chroot on a 64 bit system :-)

Gr.

Matthijs

Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 AM
"Phani Babu Giddi"

Hi Matthijs,

Can you tell me how does your /etc/make.conf look like. The Gentoo embedded documentation says that CHOST is that of the host which in my case is i686-pc-linux-gnu and that for CTARGET its i586-gentoo-linux-uclibc.

But when I go through the Gentoo x86 documentation it refers CHOST as that of the target.

My host is i686 and the target processor is Geode LX 800 which is i586 with mmx.

Regards,
Phani

Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Phani Babu Giddi wrote:
> Can you tell me how does your /etc/make.conf look like. The Gentoo embedded
> documentation says that CHOST is that of the host which in my case is
> i686-pc-linux-gnu and that for CTARGET its i586-gentoo-linux-uclibc.
>
> But when I go through the Gentoo x86 documentation it refers CHOST as that
> of the target.
>
> My host is i686 and the target processor is Geode LX 800 which is i586 with
> mmx.

you're mixing things. /etc/make.conf is for the normal Gentoo host. so if
you installed an x86 system, it's most likely i686-pc-linux-gnu.

if you review the embedded handbook, you'll need to create a *different*
make.conf which contains settings for the target board. in that file, you
would set CBUILD to i686/glibc and CHOST to i586/uclibc.
-mike

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Ned Ludd

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 19:25 -0800, Phani Babu Giddi wrote:
> Hi Matthijs,
>
> Can you tell me how does your /etc/make.conf look like. The Gentoo
> embedded documentation says that CHOST is that of the host which in my
> case is i686-pc-linux-gnu and that for CTARGET its
> i586-gentoo-linux-uclibc.
>
> But when I go through the Gentoo x86 documentation it refers CHOST as
> that of the target.
>
> My host is i686 and the target processor is Geode LX 800 which is i586
> with mmx.

Don't worry about any of that. If your host arch is x86 and you are
building for another x86 then it's really easy..

Just get the i386 uclibc stage. edit make.conf and set it to i586.
run bootstrap.sh

then enable FEATURES='buildpkg' in make.conf and just build naively
any/everything you want/need. No need to trouble yourself with cross
compilers. It will just cause you unnecessary headaches.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux