Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Matthijs Kooijman

Default using gentoo-embedded on Fedora 8

Hey,

> My host is i686 and the target processor is Geode LX 800 which is i586 with
> mmx.
As Ned said, you shouldn't be concerned with crosscompiling at all.

I got things to work mainly basing myself on
http://www.bulah.com/embedded-guide.html

I've been keeping track of what I have been doing after following this guide
(which seemed to be pretty accurate still), which I will publish after I've
had some time to clean up it up and verify it.

Gr.

Matthijs

Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
"Phani Babu Giddi"

Hi Matthijs,
*
The document that you are referring to assumes that you have gentoo on the system. For example... I cannot mount /usr/portage as my base system is fedora.
*
If I have to go by this then I would have to make /opt/gentoo download one of the starges for i686 and then make this as chroot and then again create another directory /opt/gentoo and download i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux. Is that what you are also doing ?

*
Regards,
Phani
*

Mount needed directories.*

Mount the proc and portage directories to your development_rootfs. Makes your system_rootfs's proc and portage directory available from inside of your development_rootfs (after chrooting).

Code listing 2.5: mount proc and portage

# mount --bind /proc /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/proc/
# mount --bind /usr/portage /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage

Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Matthijs Kooijman

> The document that you are referring to assumes that you have gentoo on the
> system. For example... I cannot mount /usr/portage as my base system is
> fedora.
Ah yes, of course :-)

> If I have to go by this then I would have to make /opt/gentoo download one
> of the starges for i686 and then make this as chroot and then again create
> another directory /opt/gentoo and download i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux. Is that
> what you are also doing ?
No, that would give you three roots, a full gentoo root, a dev root and an
embedded root. That is certainly possible, but you can also just skip the
outer one.

> # mount --bind /usr/portage /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage
I think the only reason they do this, is to prevent you from downloading
another /usr/portage when you already have one. AFAIK just running emerge
--sync inside your dev root should fill /usr/portage as well.

I'm saying "I think" here, because incidentally I do have a full Gentoo
root as well, which shares its /usr/portage with my dev root. Also, I'm not
completely sure anymore what I did to set things up from the start (it's been
a while). I think I wanted to try a glibc and uclibc side by side at first,
but I stopped doing that when glibc turned out to be 27MB on itself.

Anyway, it might not be a bad idea to keep a full gentoo system around as
well. In particular, my dev root doesn't have any manpages (which is probably
fixable, but just having a full gentoo root for man works as well :-)

I hope this will help you along the way a little :-)

Gr.

Matthijs