Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM
"P. Levine"

Default emerge --root : users not created

On 06/14/2010 04:09 AM, Sven Rebhan wrote:
> 2010/6/11 Marcus Priesch <marcus@priesch.priv.at>:
>> Hi sven,
>>
>> wouldnt it be enough to have the patch included in gentoo's shadow
>> ebuild - as i think its mainly relevant for gentoo folks - at least in
>> the meantime, until the patch gets accepted upstream ?!
>
> Well, talk to the Gentoo maintainer of the shadow suite. :-) IIRC, it was
> clearly said, that the patch has to go through mainstream, but you can
> try nevertheless. IMHO the patch really _should_ go upstream and be
> reviewed there as it might be relevant for security stuff.
>
>> as i assume this patch alone is not enough - as it needs tweaking the
>> eclass providing the eadduser & co functions also ... and therefore it's
>> hard to put in an overlay ... or ?!?!
>
> The procedure would be:
> 1. Get the patch accepted either upstream or in the portage tree.
> 2. Find a good check to distinguish --chroot enabled and disabled shadow
> 3. Modify the eclass accordingly.
>
> So, start with 1. and the rest will happen automatically... ;-)
>
> Sven

I'm currently trying to upgrade the patch to the latest shadow svn head.

I'm having a problem that I might have to post on gentoo bugs, but I'd
like to post it here to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I
started a new cross-build of armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi with
crossdev. After installing the toolchain, using emerge-wrapper --init,
modifying make.conf, etc..., all emerges with
ROOT=/usr/armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/ in the environment cause
portage to use the --quiet flag. I don't have the flag in
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS. I've tried deleting /var/cache/edb and
${ROOT}var/cache/edb, to no avail. I can't use FEATURES="python-trace"
to debug because the --quiet flag seems to override it. All thats
visible is "myopts {'--quiet': True, '--buildpkg': True, '--verbose':
True, '--oneshot': True, '--debug': True, '--root-deps':'rdeps'}". I
already searched gentoo bugs. Does anyone know if there was a change in
portage that would cause this, or am I overlooking something?

-P. Levine

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Ned Ludd

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 12:57 -0400, P. Levine wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 04:09 AM, Sven Rebhan wrote:
> > 2010/6/11 Marcus Priesch <marcus@priesch.priv.at>:
> >> Hi sven,
> >>
> >> wouldnt it be enough to have the patch included in gentoo's shadow
> >> ebuild - as i think its mainly relevant for gentoo folks - at least in
> >> the meantime, until the patch gets accepted upstream ?!
> >
> > Well, talk to the Gentoo maintainer of the shadow suite. :-) IIRC, it was
> > clearly said, that the patch has to go through mainstream, but you can
> > try nevertheless. IMHO the patch really _should_ go upstream and be
> > reviewed there as it might be relevant for security stuff.
> >
> >> as i assume this patch alone is not enough - as it needs tweaking the
> >> eclass providing the eadduser & co functions also ... and therefore it's
> >> hard to put in an overlay ... or ?!?!
> >
> > The procedure would be:
> > 1. Get the patch accepted either upstream or in the portage tree.
> > 2. Find a good check to distinguish --chroot enabled and disabled shadow
> > 3. Modify the eclass accordingly.
> >
> > So, start with 1. and the rest will happen automatically... ;-)
> >
> > Sven
> >

> I'm currently trying to upgrade the patch to the latest shadow svn head.
>
> I'm having a problem that I might have to post on gentoo bugs, but I'd
> like to post it here to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I
> started a new cross-build of armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi with
> crossdev. After installing the toolchain, using emerge-wrapper --init,
> modifying make.conf, etc..., all emerges with
> ROOT=/usr/armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/ in the environment cause
> portage to use the --quiet flag. I don't have the flag in
> PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS. I've tried deleting /var/cache/edb and
> ${ROOT}var/cache/edb, to no avail. I can't use FEATURES="python-trace"
> to debug because the --quiet flag seems to override it. All thats
> visible is "myopts {'--quiet': True, '--buildpkg': True, '--verbose':
> True, '--oneshot': True, '--debug': True, '--root-deps':'rdeps'}". I
> already searched gentoo bugs. Does anyone know if there was a change in
> portage that would cause this, or am I overlooking something?
>
> -P. Levine

Check to see if the version of crossdev you are using has the -q flag
in /usr/bin/cross-emerge. If so you can remove it from there.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux

Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
"P. Levine"

On 06/17/2010 03:39 PM, Ned Ludd wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 12:57 -0400, P. Levine wrote:

>>> Well, talk to the Gentoo maintainer of the shadow suite. :-) IIRC, it was
>>> clearly said, that the patch has to go through mainstream, but you can
>>> try nevertheless. IMHO the patch really _should_ go upstream and be
>>> reviewed there as it might be relevant for security stuff.

>>> The procedure would be:
>>> 1. Get the patch accepted either upstream or in the portage tree.
>>> 2. Find a good check to distinguish --chroot enabled and disabled shadow
>>> 3. Modify the eclass accordingly.
>>>
>>> So, start with 1. and the rest will happen automatically... ;-)
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>

>> I'm currently trying to upgrade the patch to the latest shadow svn head.
>>
>> I'm having a problem that I might have to post on gentoo bugs, but I'd
>> like to post it here to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I
>> started a new cross-build of armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi with
>> crossdev. After installing the toolchain, using emerge-wrapper --init,
>> modifying make.conf, etc..., all emerges with
>> ROOT=/usr/armv4l-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/ in the environment cause
>> portage to use the --quiet flag. I don't have the flag in
>> PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS. I've tried deleting /var/cache/edb and
>> ${ROOT}var/cache/edb, to no avail. I can't use FEATURES="python-trace"
>> to debug because the --quiet flag seems to override it. All thats
>> visible is "myopts {'--quiet': True, '--buildpkg': True, '--verbose':
>> True, '--oneshot': True, '--debug': True, '--root-deps':'rdeps'}". I
>> already searched gentoo bugs. Does anyone know if there was a change in
>> portage that would cause this, or am I overlooking something?
>>
>> -P. Levine
>

> Check to see if the version of crossdev you are using has the -q flag
> in /usr/bin/cross-emerge. If so you can remove it from there.

Wow, I completely misread the last line.
Thanks.

-P. Levine

Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
"P. Levine"

On 06/11/2010 04:17 AM, Sven Rebhan wrote:
> Hey,
>
> if you want to help here, try to get upstream shadow guys to accept
> and commit the patch here:
>
> https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312407&group_id=30580&at id=411480
>
> Have fun!
>
> Sven

I updated the patch to svn revision 3213 and, since the ops on irc had
been unresponsive, I submitted a query on the shadow mailing-list, for
inclusion.

-P. Levine

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Sven Rebhan

FYI, the post to the mailinglist can be found here:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-shadow-devel/2010-June/008164.html

Sven