Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Shinkan

Default Catalyst

2009/12/2 Eckard Brauer <ecki@intershop.de>

My favourite target would be to Gentoo-ify a couple of servers -- means

to have a flexible build system. That in turn means to build different

types of targets (database, xen-host, app-engine, web server, etc.; I

already can do that with stage4) and to individually (1) fill that

targets with (1.a) configuration, (1.b) some custom code and data and

(2) build one or more (non-ISO9660) file system image(s) of it, which

can be sent to a LV or a storage system for use (boot) afterwards.

Hi ecki.

Looking at catalyst stage4 example spec file
(/usr/share/doc/catalyst-x.y/examples/), I would recommend the
"stage4/root_overlay" directive, which basically put a layer upon your
stage.

So let's say you put your additional binaries and conf files in /myfiles/, you'll just have to say :

stage4/root_overlay = "/myfiles/"

and content of /myfiles/ will be cped over your target stage4 /

The same goes with livecd-stage2 spec file : you can put a layer over
your CD / filesystem. You can even put files on the CD directly with
same kind of var defining.

That solves 1).

Concerning 2), I have absolutely no idea, but I think it's not possible without hacking in catalyst "bins".

--
Pierre.
"Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." - Bill Watterson