Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Peter Stuge

Default Cross Dev Tricks + Hardened questions

Shinkan wrote:
> > Nod, metro. I've looked at it a little but so far not found big
> > benefits over catalyst for me.
>
> Same to me. It seems weird.

It's much less rigid is the point I guess. catalyst has some behavior
set by python code in /usr/lib and if you change that a lot then
metro might be a lot better I guess.

Also the metro equivalent of spec files are fun because AFAIU they
can call out to other programs, but it's not something I've needed.

//Peter

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Eckard Brauer

Hello,

I already read the strong votes for catalyst and have some experience
in using it... maybe one of the problems is the lack of much
documentation (not only the description of the full set of
functionality one may need, but also extending catalyst). So far after
the discussion evolved, I hope to find more experienced catalyst users
here

My favourite target would be to Gentoo-ify a couple of servers -- means
to have a flexible build system. That in turn means to build different
types of targets (database, xen-host, app-engine, web server, etc.; I
already can do that with stage4) and to individually (1) fill that
targets with (1.a) configuration, (1.b) some custom code and data and
(2) build one or more (non-ISO9660) file system image(s) of it, which
can be sent to a LV or a storage system for use (boot) afterwards.

Where is the best place to do so, will I have to create a stage5 target
(how? -- I suspect this is the way to go) or is there a good hook in
stage4 I simply didn't see?

Thanks in advance!
Eckard

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Ed W

Eckard Brauer wrote:

My favourite target would be to Gentoo-ify a couple of servers -- means
to have a flexible build system. That in turn means to build different
types of targets (database, xen-host, app-engine, web server, etc.; I
already can do that with stage4) and to individually (1) fill that
targets with (1.a) configuration, (1.b) some custom code and data and
(2) build one or more (non-ISO9660) file system image(s) of it, which
can be sent to a LV or a storage system for use (boot) afterwards.

Where is the best place to do so, will I have to create a stage5 target
(how? -- I suspect this is the way to go) or is there a good hook in
stage4 I simply didn't see?

Possibly only loosely hitting your target, but I recently posted my
experience on using custom profiles to handle my vserver needs. In my
case I'm not eliminating gcc from my guests, and only using binpackages
as a convenience not as the only option, however, the basic principle
has worked really nicely.

As advised by someone else on the list I created subprofiles for
different types of servers and then I can enforce say certain useflags
for the nginx servers which are different to the apache servers, etc

I think I posted this on hardened, but I'm getting a bit confused which
list we are having this discussion on since it seems to be happening on
both -embedded and -hardened?

Good luck

Ed W

Old 12-02-2009, 08:28 AM