Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
wireless

Default Gnap and google SOC

Hello,

Is GNAP and the Google summer of Code going to
complete the work on making GNAP current?

Any discussion of the GNAP plans are most welcome.
I have a bunch of old 486-P1 that I like to
put GNAP on for kids and teenagers to use
as the basis of projects and experimentation.
Lots of this old hardware is everywhere
and embedded gentoo on it, makes a lot
of sense for teenagers to tinker around with....

thx,
James

Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Ned Ludd

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 14:02 -0400, wireless wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is GNAP and the Google summer of Code going to
> complete the work on making GNAP current?
>
> Any discussion of the GNAP plans are most welcome.
> I have a bunch of old 486-P1 that I like to
> put GNAP on for kids and teenagers to use
> as the basis of projects and experimentation.
> Lots of this old hardware is everywhere
> and embedded gentoo on it, makes a lot
> of sense for teenagers to tinker around with....

I think it's safe to say that GNAP is not maintained by anybody on this
list. gentoo-gnap has a mailing list however. But I'm pretty sure it's
just dead at this point.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
wireless

Ned Ludd wrote:

>> Is GNAP and the Google summer of Code going to
>> complete the work on making GNAP current?

>> Any discussion of the GNAP plans are most welcome.
>> I have a bunch of old 486-P1 that I like to
>> put GNAP on for kids and teenagers to use
>> as the basis of projects and experimentation.
>> Lots of this old hardware is everywhere
>> and embedded gentoo on it, makes a lot
>> of sense for teenagers to tinker around with....

> I think it's safe to say that GNAP is not maintained by anybody on this
> list. gentoo-gnap has a mailing list however. But I'm pretty sure it's
> just dead at this point.

OK.

Does it make sense to try to put embedded gentoo on an old x86
machine? (486 or 586)?

If not what embedded nix distro would anyone recommend for these
very old machines, keeping in mind that kids and teenagers will
be playing with them for projects.......?

any suggestions are welcome.

James

Old 03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Ned Ludd

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 14:24 -0400, wireless wrote:
> Ned Ludd wrote:
>
> >> Is GNAP and the Google summer of Code going to
> >> complete the work on making GNAP current?
>
> >> Any discussion of the GNAP plans are most welcome.
> >> I have a bunch of old 486-P1 that I like to
> >> put GNAP on for kids and teenagers to use
> >> as the basis of projects and experimentation.
> >> Lots of this old hardware is everywhere
> >> and embedded gentoo on it, makes a lot
> >> of sense for teenagers to tinker around with....
>
> > I think it's safe to say that GNAP is not maintained by anybody on this
> > list. gentoo-gnap has a mailing list however. But I'm pretty sure it's
> > just dead at this point.
>

> OK.
>
> Does it make sense to try to put embedded gentoo on an old x86
> machine? (486 or 586)?

Sure.

> If not what embedded nix distro would anyone recommend for these
> very old machines, keeping in mind that kids and teenagers will
> be playing with them for projects.......?
>

> any suggestions are welcome.

export ROOT=$PWD/ROOT
export PORTAGE_BINHOST=http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/uclibc/i386/
emerge -G system
qmerge -fsv | less ; # (to look at the additional packages)
emerge -G <additional packages.>
cd ROOT
tar jcvf ../ROOTFS-`date -u +%Y%m%d`.tar.bz2 ./

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux