Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Ned Ludd

Default Gentoo embedded on HTC S710

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 23:32 +0100, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been enjoying Gentoo for several years on computers and I was
> looking forward to playing with Gentoo embedded.
> I finally have the opportunity to get some hardware to start playing
> and it's an HTC S710.
>
> - Is it possible to embed Gentoo on such a device?

Yes. It's an OMAP850 based device. The guys who are active on developing
for that chip are the guys who can be found in #linwizard on freenode
(which uses gentoo at it's core for it's userlands so far)

http://linwizard.wiki.sourceforge.net/

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=679

> - Which graphical interface?

I've been using GPE so far.

> - I would like to use the phone eventually, are there some nice
> applications developped for mobile devices?

Yes and No.

> - Is Gentoo embedded the best choice?

That is a per user choice.

> - Will I be able to restore windows on it?

Most likey yes. Chances are you will be doing most everything intially
via haret.exe which lets you boot the linux kernel from WM. And upon
reboot it goes back to WM.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux