-   -   Testing openmoko (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/262707-testing-openmoko.html)

Daniel Benoy 03-13-2009 02:38 PM

Testing openmoko

I've been following the instructions here:
http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/cross-compiling
and I've encountered a bunch of problems trying to get it going.

I'm willing to dink around with it and try to get it to work, but I wonder if anyone is interested in seeing the output from the problems I encounter? Is there a way for me to contribute with bug reports?
--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name

"Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau" 03-13-2009 02:55 PM

Testing openmoko

On Friday 13 March 2009 17:38:54 Daniel Benoy wrote:

> I've been following the instructions here:

> http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/cross-compiling

> and I've encountered a bunch of problems trying to get it going.

> I'm willing to dink around with it and try to get it to work, but I wonder

> if anyone is interested in seeing the output from the problems I encounter?

> Is there a way for me to contribute with bug reports?

Gentoo Openmoko team always interesting in bugs/reports and fixes.

Plz use http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/newticket for bug reports.

Also you can find us [Gentoo Openmoko Team] on #gentoo-openmoko@freenode

wireless 03-13-2009 05:36 PM

Testing openmoko

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:

> Gentoo Openmoko team always interesting in bugs/reports and fixes.
> Plz use http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/newticket for bug reports.
> Also you can find us [Gentoo Openmoko Team] on #gentoo-openmoko@freenode

OK,

I'm ready to get involved with openmoko.

Does anyone have a list of US carriers
that an openmoko cell phone acutally
works with?

James

Daniel Benoy 03-13-2009 05:43 PM

Testing openmoko

This should have what you're looking for:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Carriers

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name

wireless 03-14-2009 03:46 PM

Testing openmoko

Daniel Benoy wrote:
> This should have what you're looking for:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Carriers

>> Does anyone have a list of US carriers
>> that an openmoko cell phone acutally
>> works with?

OK, T-mobile has sparse or incomplete coverage in the US?
(at least I've heard that). Or has somebody had good results
in the US with T-mobile, over a wide area? (I do not know anyone
that uses T-mobile.)

AT&T any flat rate plans for unlimited data?

Do either one have a history of cost effective data plans?
I.E. flat rate in the US?

Another point. Will I be able to hook the OpenMoko phone
to a laptop for wireless internet access for the laptop too?
(hopefully via usb connector)

James

Christopher Friedt 03-16-2009 08:15 PM

Testing openmoko

The OM devices will work with any service provider that provides GSM service.

Christopher Friedt 03-16-2009 08:20 PM

Testing openmoko

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Another point. Will I be able to hook the OpenMoko phone
> to a laptop for wireless internet access for the laptop too?
> (hopefully via usb connector)

Yes - whether or not your mobile plan comes with a data package is
another story. In Canada, at least, 'tethering' ones phone via USB is
very, very expensive.

Most providers also differentiate whether or not the data is being
requested via mobile web browser, through a proxy for email, or via
gprs, etc, as is the case when tethering.

Before you commit to a data plan, make sure that you determine whether
or not 'tethering' is included in that data plan - it likely is not
and you will be encounter a ginormous bill at the end of the month if
you're not safe.

Peter Stuge 03-16-2009 09:29 PM

Testing openmoko

Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Most providers also differentiate whether or not the data is being
> requested via mobile web browser, through a proxy for email, or via
> gprs, etc, as is the case when tethering.

In Sweden at least one network (Tre) advertises 'flatrate browsing'
and they do indeed not carry any other data traffic except web.

Some other networks use that to their advantage. Basic rule, watch
out and read every agreement. The networks will screw you in lots of
ways you did not think of.

//Peter

Ned Ludd 03-16-2009 09:48 PM

Testing openmoko

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 14:36 -0400, wireless wrote:
> Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
>
> > Gentoo Openmoko team always interesting in bugs/reports and fixes.
> > Plz use http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/newticket for bug reports.
> > Also you can find us [Gentoo Openmoko Team] on #gentoo-openmoko@freenode
>
> OK,
>
> I'm ready to get involved with openmoko.
>
> Does anyone have a list of US carriers
> that an openmoko cell phone acutally
> works with?

Sadly ATT/Cingular is probably going to be the best bet for you if you
plan to do a lot of tethering. You should be able to get an unlimited
data plan and a bunch of mins for ~100 USD per month. Just note ATT will
log all your private data and share it with DHS.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux

Daniel Benoy 03-17-2009 12:05 PM

Testing openmoko

I have Fido here in Ontario, and since the iPhone came around their data plans have gotten very reasonable. My entire bill is about $50 and I can go up to 500 megs without overage charges, and up to 5 gigs before the charges start getting punitive. ($15 plan plus 'flexible data rate' option)

Seemed too good to be true so for the first month I used like 100k and then read my bill carefully :p No problem though.

Apparently if I go near enough to the border to be internationally roaming, though, I'll be in for some serious charges... so I'll have to remember to turn GPRS off when I go to Niagra Falls.

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name