Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Dave N6NZ

Default Beagle, again.

A quick search of the archives shows that a few weeks ago there was a
question about the state of the tool chain w.r.t. being ready for the TI
Beagle Board, but no definitive answer. I couldn't find any more recent
information. Is the current ARM Cortex support sufficient? Or is
embedded Gentoo not ready to be played with on a Beagle?

Quoting:
> If so, are the cortex-8 (aka NEON) kernel / toolchain patches yet
> incorporated into the portage tree? The C64x DSP ?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Ned Ludd

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 21:35 -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> A quick search of the archives shows that a few weeks ago there was a
> question about the state of the tool chain w.r.t. being ready for the TI
> Beagle Board, but no definitive answer. I couldn't find any more recent
> information. Is the current ARM Cortex support sufficient? Or is
> embedded Gentoo not ready to be played with on a Beagle?
>
> Quoting:
> > If so, are the cortex-8 (aka NEON) kernel / toolchain patches yet
> > incorporated into the portage tree? The C64x DSP ?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have cross compiled 621 packages for the beagle
http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/embedded/beagle/Packages
cd .. ; for the binary pkgs if you want those.

It all works fine using the following toolchain combo and
"sys-devel/crossdev-wrappers".

cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/binutils-2.18-r4
cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-4.3.2
cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/glibc-2.8_p20080602
cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2

# crossdev -S -t armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi -g 4.3.2 -b ....

Then copy this
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/site/arm-linux-gnueabi
Into /usr/share/crossdev/include/site/

# Edit cflags in /usr/CHOST/etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon
-mfloat-abi=softfp -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/
-I/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/include/"