-   -   still problems with crossdev (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/25110-still-problems-crossdev.html)

Jakub Ladman 12-30-2007 12:45 PM

still problems with crossdev

Hi there

Are these valid crossdev targets?

a) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
fails during uclibc phase
b) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux
crossdev freezes at kernel-headers and must be interrupted by CTRL-C

I am under big pressure and i do not need best optimization, i need any
working crosscompiler, but i can't get it.
I am stuck.

Jakub Ladman

Mike Frysinger 12-30-2007 02:03 PM

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jakub Ladman wrote:
> Are these valid crossdev targets?

there really isnt such a thing as a "crossdev target"

> a) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc

valid tuple, but i doubt gcc-4.x will work so you'll have to force gcc-3.4.6

> b) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux

invalid tuple ... you didnt state what kind of userland libc is in use.
please review the embedded handbook.
-mike

Mariusz Przygodzki 12-30-2007 02:19 PM

On Sunday 30 of December 2007 16:03:51 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > a) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
>
> valid tuple, but i doubt gcc-4.x will work so you'll have to force
> gcc-3.4.6

Interesting. I have compiled gcc-4.12 for arm-elf:

mariusz@tux ~ $ arm-elf-gcc --version
arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2 p1.0.2)

Mariusz

Mike Frysinger 12-30-2007 04:30 PM

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Mariusz Przygodzki wrote:
> On Sunday 30 of December 2007 16:03:51 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > a) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
> >
> > valid tuple, but i doubt gcc-4.x will work so you'll have to force
> > gcc-3.4.6
>
> Interesting. I have compiled gcc-4.12 for arm-elf:

arm-elf is not a softfloat target that uses uClibc, thus the issue does not
apply
-mike

Mike Frysinger 12-30-2007 04:31 PM

still problems with crossdev

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jakub Ladman wrote:
> b) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux
> crossdev freezes at kernel-headers and must be interrupted by CTRL-C

someone else reported this, but i cant find that report atm ... the hang is
from trying to process a non-existent libc and is now fixed in cvs
-mike

Jakub Ladman 12-30-2007 04:48 PM

Dne Sunday 30 December 2007 16:03:51 Mike Frysinger napsal(a):
> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jakub Ladman wrote:
> > Are these valid crossdev targets?
>
> there really isnt such a thing as a "crossdev target"
>
> > a) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
>
> valid tuple, but i doubt gcc-4.x will work so you'll have to force
> gcc-3.4.6
>
> > b) crossdev -t arm-softfloat-linux
>
> invalid tuple ... you didnt state what kind of userland libc is in use.
> please review the embedded handbook.

I have it allready open and i am looking there.

> -mike

hovado / # crossdev --g 3.4.6 --target arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
* Host Portage ARCH: x86
* Target Portage ARCH: arm
* Target System: arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
* Stage: 4 (C/C++ compiler)

* binutils: binutils-[latest]
* gcc: gcc-3.4.6
* headers: linux-headers-[latest]
* libc: uclibc-[latest]

* PORTDIR_OVERLAY: /usr/local/portage
* PORT_LOGDIR: /var/log/portage
*
PKGDIR: /usr/portage/packages/cross/arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
* PORTAGE_TMPDIR: /var/tmp/cross/arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
_ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ -
* Forcing the latest versions of {binutils,gcc}-config/gnuconfig ... [
ok ]
* Log: /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-binutils.log
* Emerging cross-binutils ... [
ok ]
* Log: /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc-stage1.log
* Emerging cross-gcc-stage1 ...

* gcc failed :(
* If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
* /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-info.log
* /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc-stage1.log
hovado / #

Jason 12-30-2007 05:09 PM

Jakub Ladman wrote:
> * Emerging cross-gcc-stage1 ...
>
> * gcc failed :(
> * If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
> * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-info.log
> * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc-stage1.log
Please don't send attachments when sending messages to the mailinglist.
Just post the relevant section of the logfile(s).

fwiw, the following versions worked for me (albeit for big-endian)

# ls /var/db/pkg/cross-armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/
binutils-2.17/ linux-headers-2.6.19.2-r2/
gcc-3.4.6-r2/ uclibc-0.9.28.3/

Make sure you get rid of previous attempts before restarting.

# crossdev -C arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc
# ls /var/db/pkg/cross-*
(should be empty)

hth,

Jason.

Mike Frysinger 12-30-2007 05:28 PM

still problems with crossdev

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jakub Ladman wrote:
> hovado / # crossdev --g 3.4.6 --target arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc

review crossdev usage. the --g option is explicit down to the portage rev.
if you quickly glance in the log file, you'll see it's trying to build
gcc-3.3.6.
-mike

Mike Frysinger 12-30-2007 05:29 PM

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jason wrote:
> Jakub Ladman wrote:
> > * Emerging cross-gcc-stage1 ...
> >
> > * gcc failed :(
> > * If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
> > * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-info.log
> > * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc-stage1.log
>
> Please don't send attachments when sending messages to the mailinglist.
> Just post the relevant section of the logfile(s).

it's probably better if people post complete logs. too often they dont know
what is relevant and so post the wrong/misleading snippets.

however, real men dont use zip.
-mike

Jakub Ladman 12-30-2007 05:34 PM

Dne Sunday 30 December 2007 19:29:25 Mike Frysinger napsal(a):
> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Jason wrote:
> > Jakub Ladman wrote:
> > > * Emerging cross-gcc-stage1 ...
> > >
> > > * gcc failed :(
> > > * If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
> > > * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-info.log
> > > * /var/log/portage/cross-arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc-stage1.log
> >
> > Please don't send attachments when sending messages to the mailinglist.
> > Just post the relevant section of the logfile(s).
>
> it's probably better if people post complete logs. too often they dont
> know what is relevant and so post the wrong/misleading snippets.
>
> however, real men dont use zip.

:-) You are right, but it is what my kmail offers me, so that is the simplest
way to compress it.
I promise i will use bzip2 in the future only.