Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default xmake ARCH options

On Tuesday 06 November 2007, Philippe Bertin wrote:
> >I believe you mean xkmake. The list of canonicalized machine names is
> >not the same as the linux kernel ARCH.
>
> I tend to agree with J-C in saying that
>
> >>It might be worth adding a note to the documentation
> >>http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml#xkmake
> >>
> >>explaining these and other exceptions.
>
> as I fought the same battle recently All this while being quite
> impressed on the overall quality of the Gentoo documentation.

the Gentoo embedded handbook did mention that the portage/tuple values do not
match the kernel, but ive added some more stuff to make it explicit.
however, i dont plan on adding a full list mapping the three distinct sets.
the kernel has been changing arch values over time (ppc and ppc64 were
unified into ppc, i386 and x86_64 were unified into x86, ...), so instead i
described how you can discover the value yourself.
-mike