Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Jakub Ladman

Default device node problem

Hello friends,

please be patient with my stupid question.

I have switched my embedded gentoo system to udev and now i have trouble with
one device driver.

This is lincan from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocera

it is a character device with major 91 and minor 0 and 1 numbers, if i use
mknod i can have functional device nodes, but after reboot udev discards it.

I am googling any manual to udev, that may help me, but i understand it not.
Can't find how to write rule to make node from major minor numbers.

Can anybody write me, what to do?

Thank You

Jakub Ladman

Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 08 January 2009 13:44:32 Jakub Ladman wrote:
> please be patient with my stupid question.
>
> I have switched my embedded gentoo system to udev and now i have trouble
> with one device driver.
>
> This is lincan from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocera
>
> it is a character device with major 91 and minor 0 and 1 numbers, if i use
> mknod i can have functional device nodes, but after reboot udev discards
> it.
>
> I am googling any manual to udev, that may help me, but i understand it
> not. Can't find how to write rule to make node from major minor numbers.

udev doesnt "discard" device nodes. Gentoo by default runs a fs out of ram
for /dev so anything created there is lost after a reboot. if the device
driver isnt triggering userspace to create a device node, then most likely it
is broken and needs fixing.

you can add a simple `mknod` statement to your /etc/conf.d/local (or
local.start).

you can use `udevadm monitor` to see the events the driver is sending to
userspace when you load the module. for more info though, you really should
ask on the udev mailing lists as this question really isnt embedded related.
-mike