-   -   Cross-Compiling Python (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/178206-cross-compiling-python.html)

"Melton, Jason" 10-17-2008 05:47 PM

Cross-Compiling Python

Hello everyone,

*

I have been trying to get Gentoo to run on the Atmel
AT91RM9200 processor that I have on a custom board.* So far, I have managed to
cross compile quite a few packages (some requiring help) for the processor but
when it comes to Python, I get the following error:

*

>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 to
/usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/

** Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...* *
* * * * * * * *[ ok ]

** python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
[ ok ]

** checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...* * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * * [ ok ]

** checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...* * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * *[ ok ]

** checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...* * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * [ ok ]

** checking Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 ;-) ...* * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* [ ok ]

** checking python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 ;-) ...* *
* * * * * * [ ok ]

>>> Unpacking source...

>>> Unpacking Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 to
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/work

>>> Unpacking python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 to
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/work

**

** ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 failed.

** Call stack:

*** * * * * * * *ebuild.sh,
line* *49:* Called src_unpack

*** * * * * * *environment, line
3466:* Called die

** The specific snippet of code:

*** * * * * *[[ $(python -V 2>&1) !=
"Python ${PV}" ]] && die "Crosscompiling requires the
same host and build versions.";

*** The die message:

*** *Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.

**

** If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack
if relevant.

** A complete build log is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/temp/build.log'.

** The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/temp/environment'.

*

It seems to be complaining about requiring the host and
build versions to be the same.* I am really confused by this since I am
building the system on an x86.* I’ve been looking thru the past messages
on this list and haven’t found anything like this yet (I may have missed
it).* Has anyone encountered this before and know a solution?

*

I’ve also posted to the Gentoo Forums but in a message
it suggested that I might try asking this list.

*

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-691364.html

*

Thanks

Jason

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This transmission is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying of or taking of any action in reliance upon this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply e-mail.

Jason 10-17-2008 05:53 PM

Cross-Compiling Python

Melton, Jason wrote:
> I have been trying to get Gentoo to run on the Atmel AT91RM9200
> processor that I have on a custom board. So far, I have managed to
> cross compile quite a few packages (some requiring help) for the
> processor but when it comes to Python, I get the following error:
[snip]
> * The specific snippet of code:
> * [[ $(python -V 2>&1) != "Python ${PV}" ]] && die
> "Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.";

Version number, _not_ architecture. Run 'python -V' on the x86 system.
is it the same as the python version you are trying to cross-compile?
For some reason python requires this...

To solve you'll need to either upgrade or downgrade the host or target.
I'd recommend adjusting the target version to match the build host.
Assuming the build host is up to date.

hth,

Jason.

"Melton, Jason" 10-17-2008 08:52 PM

Cross-Compiling Python

Thank you very much. That seems to have fixed it.

Mike Frysinger 10-26-2008 06:55 AM

Cross-Compiling Python

On Friday 17 October 2008, Jason wrote:
> Melton, Jason wrote:
> > I have been trying to get Gentoo to run on the Atmel AT91RM9200
> > processor that I have on a custom board. So far, I have managed to
> > cross compile quite a few packages (some requiring help) for the
> > processor but when it comes to Python, I get the following error:
>
> [snip]
>
> > * The specific snippet of code:
> > * [[ $(python -V 2>&1) != "Python ${PV}" ]] && die
> > "Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.";
>
> Version number, _not_ architecture. Run 'python -V' on the x86 system.
> is it the same as the python version you are trying to cross-compile?
> For some reason python requires this...

because the python build system requires python in order to build properly.
and we cant really guarantee that unless the versions are the same. feel
free to post a patch that has the ebuild build python twice so the host
python never gets used ...
-mike

Enrico Weigelt 11-15-2008 04:29 AM

Cross-Compiling Python

* Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> schrieb:

> because the python build system requires python in order to build properly.

Yeah, that's quite funny. Several other projects (eg. perl) do
that crap, too. Just ask them about crosscompiling, get a big
spliff of popcorn and have fun ... ;-o

cu
http://patches.metux.de/