FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Embedded

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
"Jean-Marc Beaune"
 
Default arm or armeb?

Hi,
*
I plan to cross-compile for an arm chip but how to know if I should choose arm or armeb machine?
*
Thanks
--
Jean-Marc
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Karl Hiramoto
 
Default arm or armeb?

Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to cross-compile for an arm chip but how to know if I should
> choose arm or armeb machine?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jean-Marc
Depends.. Maybe give details of your bootloader, board, peripherals,
CPU, etc..


--
Karl
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
"Jean-Marc Beaune"
 
Default arm or armeb?

Hi,
*
The details:
*
- Processor:*16/32 bit AT91SAM7X256 (ARM7TDMI-S™)
-*256 K Flash
- 64 K*RAM
- USB 2.0
- Ethernet*10/100 Mbits
- 2 x RS-232
-*ADC (10 bits),*CAN, 2 x UARTs,*TWI(I2C), 2 x SPI,*3 x timers 32bit,*SSC, 4 x PWM, WDT, PDC (DMA)

- Frequency up to* 55 MHz
-*JTAG connector (ARM's 2 x 10 pins -*ARM-JTAG compatible)
- Color TFT*128 x 128 pixels
-*SD™/MMC™
- Mini-joystick
- Loudspeaker
- Audio input/output
- Crystal 18,432 MHz sur support
-*RESET buton
- Dimension:*128 x 98 mm
*
The question is not specifically for this hardware but more "when to choose arm and when to choose armeb" ?
*
Thank you



On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Karl Hiramoto <karl@hiramoto.org> wrote:




Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to cross-compile for an arm chip but how to know if I should
> choose arm or armeb machine?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jean-Marc

Depends.. Maybe give details of your bootloader, board, peripherals,
CPU, etc..


--
Karl




--
Jean-Marc
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Karl Hiramoto
 
Default arm or armeb?

Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The details:
>
> - Processor: 16/32 bit *AT91SAM7X256* (ARM7TDMI-S™)
> - 256 K Flash
> - 64 K RAM
> - USB 2.0
> - Ethernet 10/100 Mbits
> - 2 x RS-232
> - ADC (10 bits), CAN, 2 x UARTs, TWI(I2C), 2 x SPI, 3 x timers
> 32bit, SSC, 4 x PWM, WDT, PDC (DMA)
> - Frequency up to 55 MHz
> - JTAG connector (ARM's 2 x 10 pins - ARM-JTAG compatible)
> - Color TFT 128 x 128 pixels
> - SD™/MMC™
> - Mini-joystick
> - Loudspeaker
> - Audio input/output
> - Crystal 18,432 MHz sur support
> - RESET buton
> - Dimension: 128 x 98 mm
>
> The question is not specifically for this hardware but more "when to
> choose arm and when to choose armeb" ?
>
> Thank you
>
AFIK, you can't run linux on an ARM TDMI with 64K of RAM :-)


Using the same endianess as your bootloader will save you from byte
swapping. If you can use the same endianness as the rest of your HW,
it will save the byte sapping operations and may make your system faster.


Some people prefer little endian, because other SW/ drivers has bugs on
little endian machines.


More about endianness you can probably get from googl'ing.

--
Karl
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 PM
"Jean-Marc Beaune"
 
Default arm or armeb?

Thank you,
*
All right, but actually I didn't buy this hardware yet, I'm just investigating and ceating crossdev toolchain.
*
So, not possible to know what's the difference between 'arm' and 'armeb' machines?
*
Cheers,
/JM


On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Karl Hiramoto <karl@hiramoto.org> wrote:


Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The details:
>
> - Processor: 16/32 bit *AT91SAM7X256* (ARM7TDMI-S™)
> - 256 K Flash
> - 64 K RAM
> - USB 2.0
> - Ethernet 10/100 Mbits
> - 2 x RS-232

> - ADC (10 bits), CAN, 2 x UARTs, TWI(I2C), 2 x SPI, 3 x timers
> 32bit, SSC, 4 x PWM, WDT, PDC (DMA)
> - Frequency up to *55 MHz
> - JTAG connector (ARM's 2 x 10 pins - ARM-JTAG compatible)
> - Color TFT 128 x 128 pixels

> - SD™/MMC™
> - Mini-joystick
> - Loudspeaker
> - Audio input/output
> - Crystal 18,432 MHz sur support
> - RESET buton
> - Dimension: 128 x 98 mm
>
> The question is not specifically for this hardware but more "when to

> choose arm and when to choose armeb" ?
>
> Thank you
>
AFIK, *you can't run linux on *an ARM TDMI with 64K of RAM *:-)


Using the same endianess as your bootloader will save you from byte

swapping. * * If you can use the same endianness as the rest of your HW,
it will save the byte sapping operations and may make your system faster.


Some people prefer little endian, because other SW/ drivers has bugs on

little endian machines.


More about endianness you can probably get from googl'ing.

--
Karl









--

Jean-Marc
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Jason
 
Default arm or armeb?

Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> The question is not specifically for this hardware but more "when to choose
> arm and when to choose armeb" ?

If your end application is network heavy, I would choose big endian
(which is Network Byte Order). Outside of that, little endian is
preferred by a lot of folks simply because it gets more testing. Most
drivers and apps are written on and for little endian architectures.

hth,

Jason.
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Ned Ludd
 
Default arm or armeb?

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 13:34 +0200, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The details:
>
> - Processor: 16/32 bit AT91SAM7X256 (ARM7TDMI-S™)
> - 256 K Flash
> - 64 K RAM
> - USB 2.0
> - Ethernet 10/100 Mbits
> - 2 x RS-232
> - ADC (10 bits), CAN, 2 x UARTs, TWI(I2C), 2 x SPI, 3 x timers
> 32bit, SSC, 4 x PWM, WDT, PDC (DMA)
> - Frequency up to 55 MHz
> - JTAG connector (ARM's 2 x 10 pins - ARM-JTAG compatible)
> - Color TFT 128 x 128 pixels
> - SD™/MMC™
> - Mini-joystick
> - Loudspeaker
> - Audio input/output
> - Crystal 18,432 MHz sur support
> - RESET buton
> - Dimension: 128 x 98 mm
>
> The question is not specifically for this hardware but more "when to
> choose arm and when to choose armeb" ?


Just talked to a friend over at atmel. He confirms that you probably
want a arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc toolchain.

Generally the intel xscale chips tend to be the BE ones that we see on
arm. Otherwise most everything else is LE.


> Thank you
>
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Karl Hiramoto <karl@hiramoto.org>
> wrote:
>
> Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan to cross-compile for an arm chip but how to know if I
> should
> > choose arm or armeb machine?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Jean-Marc
>
> Depends.. Maybe give details of your bootloader, board,
> peripherals,
> CPU, etc..
>
>
> --
> Karl
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Jean-Marc
>
 
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default arm or armeb?

On Friday 03 October 2008, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> So, not possible to know what's the difference between 'arm' and 'armeb'
> machines?

one is big endian, the other is little endian. that's it. if you dont know
what endianness is, google for it ... i seem to recall wikipedia having a
good page on it.
-mike
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org