-   -   How do you organize your devices? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/160319-how-do-you-organize-your-devices.html)

Christopher Friedt 09-15-2008 12:56 PM

How do you organize your devices?

Dear list,

Like many of you, my collection of boards that I currently need to deal
with has grown over the years to a dozen or so. I'm sure that some of
you will probably even think that number is on the small-ish side of the
scale.

However, because I work from home, I find that my boards are often just
cluttering up my work area.

For a while, I had them packed into a small drawer-unit-on-wheels along
with my external hard disks and random peripherals. However, after a
while, that was not as searchable as I thought it would be.

At one point, I thought it would be nice to screw them all down on a
large cork-board that was outfitted with a power bar, which I would then
mount on the wall, effectively transforming the collection into a
functional work of silicon art. However, I'm sure that this list could
provide with many other interesting organizational methods for SBC's and
their like.

Therefore, let me post my question to the list:

How do you organize your devices?

Many thanks,

(from a soon-to-be clutter-free)

Chris.

Jason 09-15-2008 01:12 PM

Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Like many of you, my collection of boards that I currently need to deal
> with has grown over the years to a dozen or so. I'm sure that some of
> you will probably even think that number is on the small-ish side of the
> scale.
>
> However, because I work from home, I find that my boards are often just
> cluttering up my work area.
>
> For a while, I had them packed into a small drawer-unit-on-wheels along
> with my external hard disks and random peripherals. However, after a
> while, that was not as searchable as I thought it would be.
>
> At one point, I thought it would be nice to screw them all down on a
> large cork-board that was outfitted with a power bar, which I would then
> mount on the wall, effectively transforming the collection into a
> functional work of silicon art. However, I'm sure that this list could
> provide with many other interesting organizational methods for SBC's and
> their like.
>
> Therefore, let me post my question to the list:
>
> How do you organize your devices?

I like to use those semi-disposable (meh. recyclable) tupperware-like
containers that are used for storing single servings of left-overs.
They're transparent enough to see what board, cables, and power adapters
are inside. They take a sharpie well for labeling, and they're
stackable. Throw a desiccant from a previous shipment in there and you
have long term storage.

Not that I'm supporting a single brand, but this [1] is what I'm talking
about.

hth,

Jason.

[1] -
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=142163&catid=91823&brand=40385&trx=PL ST-0-BRAND&trxp1=91823&trxp2=142163&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btr x=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=40385

wireless 09-15-2008 02:12 PM

Christopher Friedt wrote:

How do you organize your devices?

I purchased a use 19" rack that is enclosed on all side. I mount
the boards to thin pieces of plexi glass or wood and wedge them
in a vertical arrangement, leaving room for air to circulate.
A bit expensive and takes time to install and extract the boards
so I just leave them on a shelf or table top while I'm physically
hacking at the board. After some time, it is usually cabled
in to ethernet and maybe a serial port on a host system.

The difficult part is leaving adequate room to add peripherals
later on.....

NO matter what you do, you'll have a degree of hap-hazardness and
uglyness, until a board is ready for production (imho).....

If you buss your DC power sources, make sure you label each board
with that information, or you can easily smoke some hardware.....

hth,

James

Mike Frysinger 10-26-2008 07:03 AM

On Monday 15 September 2008, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> How do you organize your devices?

electro static bags + labels + desk drawer
-mike

"Christopher Friedt" 10-26-2008 07:36 PM

How do you organize your devices?

I unfortunately lack desk drawers - I have a big bench that everything
sits messily atop.

The rack sounds like a nice idea though - it's probably a great place
to put boards + networkable storage.