-   -   Coldfire (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/145911-coldfire.html)

wireless 08-20-2008 03:32 PM

Coldfire

Hello,

As many of you know, many (coldfire) versions with or without
an MMU are directly supported in the linux kernel these days.

(for example)
/usr/src/linux/arch/m68knommu/platform/coldfire

Has anyone built/hacked embedded gentoo onto a coldfire?
Minimalistic or kernel plus a few packages would be ok.
Has anyone even attempted to put some subset of embedded
gentoo onto a coldfire?

Of the (15) supported architectures, m68k is listed. But that
may only be Amiga, sun3 etc etc. I was looking more for embedded
gentoo on an embedded coldfire (one with an mmu) with lots of ram.

Googling has not produce anything usable. Much of it is relegated
to the uClinux days or vendor offerings. Any suggestions or thoughts
are most appreciated.

James

Christopher Friedt 09-05-2008 02:08 PM

Coldfire

Hi James

wireless wrote:

Has anyone built/hacked embedded gentoo onto a coldfire?
Minimalistic or kernel plus a few packages would be ok.
Has anyone even attempted to put some subset of embedded
gentoo onto a coldfire?

I would suggest trying crossdev with the target:

m68k-softfloat-uclinux-uclibc

See http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=3

If it's supported directly in the linux kernel, then you might be able
to just use

m68k-softfloat-linux-uclibc

but I'm not sure if that will work.

Use uclibc for sure (no mmu). uClibc also has a dynamic / shared object
loader as well, which was developed in recent years, so even on mmu-less
systems you can still use functions analogous to dlopen(), dlsym() (AFAIK).

Of course, whether or not the patchsets are incorporated is another
story, but since Coldfire is a pretty well ironed-out architecture, I'm
sure you won't have any issues.

Using portage as a build tool for mmu-less systems is a great idea in my
opinion. I would suggest using Ned's crossdev-wrappers as well (search
the list).

Chris

wireless 09-05-2008 03:38 PM

Coldfire

Christopher Friedt wrote:

Hi James

wireless wrote:

[...]

Yea, I still researching my options.
Also, the are continuing to beef up the
performance of the high end chips, in the coldfire
family.

When I figure out what I'm going to do, I'll drop
a note on the list, to let anyone comment on the
approach.

Thanks,

James