-   -   Embedded Thin Client (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/137848-embedded-thin-client.html)

Peter Rofner 08-05-2008 01:51 PM

Embedded Thin Client

Greetings,

I'm new to Gentoo Embedded, but have been using Gentoo on all my Linux
systems for years now. I picked up a Boundary Devices
( http://www.boundarydevices.com ) PoE touch screen computer to
experiment with. My plan is to build a simple little thin client to
interface with back-end hardware and then embed the PoE touchscreens
into walls, etc. with only a single-cable connection to each terminal.
Out of the box, they have Linux booting with a few multi-media demos
based on PTXdist where it plays flash, mp3's, MPEG's, and jpeg
slideshows which works pretty slick.

Being new to embedded platforms, are there any suggestions on the most
practical setup to use? What thin-client software to pursue, etc?
Ideally I want a good solid thin-client that can deal with a little
video and audio and then I can manage all the applications from the
server.

Thanks

--
Peter Rofner
Richmond Nursery Inc.

Ahmed Ammar 08-06-2008 06:32 AM

Embedded Thin Client

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:51 -0400, Peter Rofner wrote:
> Being new to embedded platforms, are there any suggestions on the most
> practical setup to use? What thin-client software to pursue, etc?
> Ideally I want a good solid thin-client that can deal with a little
> video and audio and then I can manage all the applications from the
> server.

Hello,

You could simply use an nfs root; there are many guides to accomplish
what you want from gentoo.org (and unofficially from gentoo-wiki.com).

Check out:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ltsp.xml
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo

Ahmed Ammar (b33fc0d3 [at] gentoo.org)