Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Christopher Friedt

Default marvell 88F5182 arm processor

I was just wondering if anyone on the list has used crossdev to build a
cross-compiler for the marvell 88f5182 soc.

This is the chip that's in the Buffalo NAS as well as the TS-7800 SBC.

Do the current stable gcc / binutils / linux-headers sources include all
of the necessary patches for this chip yet?

I'm just planning on updating the gentoo-wiki with some instructions on
how to build a cross-compiler for the ts7800 board, like the 72xx OABI
EABI howto's from a while ago.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
johnbock

Christopher Friedt wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone on the list has used crossdev to build a
> cross-compiler for the marvell 88f5182 soc.
>
> This is the chip that's in the Buffalo NAS as well as the TS-7800 SBC.
>
> Do the current stable gcc / binutils / linux-headers sources include all
> of the necessary patches for this chip yet?
>
> I'm just planning on updating the gentoo-wiki with some instructions on
> how to build a cross-compiler for the ts7800 board, like the 72xx OABI
> EABI howto's from a while ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

The kernel supports this cpu starting at version 2.6.25.

I built the cross compiler using gentoo and crossdev with no problems. If
you want to use distcc on the box atleast the gcc versions (and possibly
glibc) in your net must be the same.

# USE=-fortran crossdev --target armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi --kernel
2.6.25-r4 --binutils 2.18-r3 --gcc 4.2.3 --libc 2.6.1

I am also using crossdev-wrappers. After adding
armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi (not sure if the file name is correct) to
/usr/share/crossdev/include/site/ I called emerge-wrapper --init. I then
modified make.conf and changed the profile to
default/linux/arm/2008.0/server.

Although I haven't generated system yet, emerge --info reports

I wonder why glibc isn't being properly reported along with gcc and
linux-headers???...

# armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-emerge --info
Portage 2.1.4.4 (default/linux/arm/2008.0/server, gcc-4.2.3, unavailable,
2.6.25-gentoo-r7-t5 i686)
System uname: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7-t5 i686 VIA Esther processor 1000MHz
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:19:02 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash: 3.2_p33
dev-lang/python: 2.5.2-r6
dev-util/ccache: 2.4-r7
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.61-r2
sys-devel/automake: 1.10.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.26
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.23-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="arm"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=armv5te -mtune=arm926ej-s -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/
-I/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/include/"
CHOST="armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf
/etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=armv5te -mtune=arm926ej-s -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/
-I/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/include/"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="buildpkg ccache distlocks metadata-transfer nodoc noinfo sandbox
sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo "
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
-L/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/lib"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/packages/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times
--compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180
--exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/usr/armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/tmp/"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/home/armv5tejl/overlay"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl apache2 arm async bash-completion berkdb bzip2 ccache cli cracklib
crypt cups dbus gdbm iconv ipv6 isdnlog ldap mailwrapper midi mudflap mysql
ncurses netboot nfs nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre posix pppd readline
reflection samba session snmp spl ssl symlink sysfs syslog tcpd truetype
unicode usb vim-pager vim-syntax xinetd xml xorg zlib"
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file
hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null
plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic
authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm
authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex
cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime
mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir
usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse
touchscreen" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780
lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev dummy"
input_devices="touchscreen evdev mouse keyboard" video_cards="fbdev dummy"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL,
LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS