-   Gentoo Documentation (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/)
-   -   Expanding categories' descriptions (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/713007-expanding-categories-descriptions.html)

"Denis M." 03-30-2013 07:17 PM

Expanding categories' descriptions

Hello,

I believe it's necessary to bring this matter here. I think it's a
good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found in the
corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate
descriptions of which packages are welcome to fit in which
categories.

The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the
best shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is
about and what packages are to be found there.

This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
user-contributing ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not
sure about it).

This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are
to be submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should
provide a better understanding of the categories.

If expanding the metadata.xml files does not seem a good
idea, we should at least make a little bit more comprehensive
description somewhere in the gentoo.org/doc/ or wiki.gentoo.org
pages.

What do you think about it?

Regards,

Denis M. (Phr33d0m)

Mike Frysinger 03-30-2013 07:42 PM

On Saturday 30 March 2013 16:17:49 Denis M. wrote:
> Hello,

please do not send html e-mails
-mike

Sven Vermeulen 03-31-2013 06:29 AM

On Mar 30, 2013 9:18 PM, "Denis M." <god@politeia.in> wrote:

> Hello,

> I believe it's necessary to bring this matter here. I think it's a good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found in the corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions of which packages are welcome to fit in which categories.

Hi Denis,

You should suggest this on gentoo-dev mailinglist.

Wkr,

** Sven