-   Gentoo Documentation (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/)
-   -   Beginner needs help (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/712846-beginner-needs-help.html)

Josť Fournier 02-28-2013 04:47 PM

Beginner needs help

Hi,

Up to now I have updated the translation of files that were already
committed both sides (original and translation). Using gorg on a
checkout of the CVS provides a very easy way to see the English file and
the translated file side by side in a browser. This way one can check
the textual aspect of the document as well as its rendering (the tags).
Now I come to a file which original only exists. Copying it into the
equivalent folder of the target language doesn't suffice to make it
appear in the browser. The only thing that is rendered is "cannot
convert nil into string". I guess the file has to be committed first to
be viewable in the browser. But I have no right to do so at the moment.
My question is how to do this locally in order to have gorg render it
normally ?

I hope my question is not too stupid and that the answer is not obvious
in the GDP documentation.

Thanks in advance for help

Josť

Josť Fournier 03-01-2013 03:47 AM

Beginner needs help

Hi,

I think I have found a solution to my problem. In fact copying the
original file from EN to FR folder and then translating works. The only
trouble I had was that the link to the file (chapter) was not yet
present in the master document /doc/fr/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml.

We have something to learn every day .

Now everything renders correctly in the browser.

Damien Levac 03-01-2013 04:06 AM

Beginner needs help

Hmm, never thought of doing translations.
Is there a lot of stuff left to do in English to French translations? Or
just some article here and there?

Damien

Xavier Miller 03-01-2013 06:26 AM

Beginner needs help

Quoting Damien Levac <damien.levac@gmail.com>:

Hmm, never thought of doing translations.
Is there a lot of stuff left to do in English to French translations? Or
just some article here and there?

Damien

Hello
There is at least 3 years updates to integrate, since the french
translation is not active anymore.

I started an initiative to update the French manual [1], but I don't
have not so much time for now (I had some free time before, but I
changed of work and have things to do =:o>)

Feel free to collaborate to that unofficial initiative, the best way
for non-developers is to files documentation bugs with patch to
updated documents.

Kind regards,
Xavier Miller

[1]