Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Sven Vermeulen

Default Moving stuff to Gentoo Wiki?

Hi guys,

As the GDP isn't as large as it used to be (I think we have 2 to 4 active
participants/developers currently, coming from a 20+ situation) we might
want to consider moving documents we can't handle currently onto the Gentoo
Wiki. Most of us either don't know the technologies described in it too
well, or we need some help from the community...

License-wise, this should be okay, as there is a version-up clause in the
CC-BY-SA license most documents use. It would also allow us to focus on the
installation instructions and, who knows, have some input for the Gentoo
Wiki Knowledge base at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Main_Page
;-)

Thoughts on this?

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
"Aaron W. Swenson"

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 3/27/12 9:05 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> As the GDP isn't as large as it used to be (I think we have 2 to 4 active
> participants/developers currently, coming from a 20+ situation) we might
> want to consider moving documents we can't handle currently onto the Gentoo
> Wiki. Most of us either don't know the technologies described in it too
> well, or we need some help from the community...

Sounds good. For some reason people like wikis...

I generally prefer GDP, but it's obviously not possible to have 4 people
handle the same load as 20 people. By the way, I think that after your
return Sven the GDP can attract more contributors.

> License-wise, this should be okay, as there is a version-up clause in the
> CC-BY-SA license most documents use. It would also allow us to focus on the
> installation instructions and, who knows, have some input for the Gentoo
> Wiki Knowledge base at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Main_Page
> ;-)

Would the licensing also allow eventually taking the wiki articles and
adding them to GDP?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Sven Vermeulen

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:21:39PM +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> I generally prefer GDP, but it's obviously not possible to have 4 people
> handle the same load as 20 people. By the way, I think that after your
> return Sven the GDP can attract more contributors.

I'm no Messiah, and I'm grumpy. Two things not in favor of that ;-)

> > License-wise, this should be okay, as there is a version-up clause in the
> > CC-BY-SA license most documents use. It would also allow us to focus on the
> > installation instructions and, who knows, have some input for the Gentoo
> > Wiki Knowledge base at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Main_Page
> > ;-)
>
> Would the licensing also allow eventually taking the wiki articles and
> adding them to GDP?

Yes, we recently support the same version as on the Wiki.

Moving however does have its implications. Handling translations still needs
to be sought out/through, although I can imagine that most translation teams
also don't have the power of an entire army at their disposal to handle
translations. And especially not for wiki's.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Sven Vermeulen

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:37:08PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> > > License-wise, this should be okay, as there is a version-up clause in the
> > > CC-BY-SA license most documents use. It would also allow us to focus on the
> > > installation instructions and, who knows, have some input for the Gentoo
> > > Wiki Knowledge base at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Main_Page
> > > ;-)
> >
> > Would the licensing also allow eventually taking the wiki articles and
> > adding them to GDP?
>
> Yes, we recently support the same version as on the Wiki.
>
> Moving however does have its implications. Handling translations still needs
> to be sought out/through, although I can imagine that most translation teams
> also don't have the power of an entire army at their disposal to handle
> translations. And especially not for wiki's.

Good news for those that don't follow the mailinglists. The wiki guys just
announced support for translating wiki pages [1]. That means that the only
burden we had to "not move" documents from the main documentation site to
the wiki has been resolved.

In the coming days (well, most likely beyond June 15th as that's a hard
deadline I have for non-Gentoo related stuff and I'm swamped in work) I will
be moving documentation to the wiki. I'll start with those documents that
have bugs on them that we haven't worked on in ages (figuratively) and
others will follow soon.

If an article on the wiki already exists on the subject, I'll probably
not move update it considering I need to keep attribution on the Gentoo
documents (which means I need to add an acknowledgements section to the
article, something that doesn't really make sense on existing articles on
the wiki where just a few parts would be moved).

The Gentoo Handbook is most likely the latest one to be moved, as it is a
very dynamically generated document (and thus not as easy to integrate on
the wiki). Or not moved at all. We'll see.

If you want to assist in moving documents to the wiki, be my guest ;-)

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Help:Translating

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen