Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Josh Saddler

Default hd* and sd* conditionals

Hey all. We've been using conditional includes for hd* and sd* block
devices, based on whether or not the system in question is based on
SCSI/SATA disks or IDE disks. However, given the libata framework in the
kernel, I'm questioning whether or not this is still appropriate.

My proposal: start using /dev/sd* everywhere, for all arches. We would
still keep the descriptive hb-install-filesystems.xml include, as that
talks about libata and SATA and IDE, but we could greatly simplify our
handbook by just moving to sd* everywhere.

Wait until after release to do this, though. Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
"Łukasz Damentko"

On 31/03/2008, Josh Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hey all. We've been using conditional includes for hd* and sd* block
> devices, based on whether or not the system in question is based on
> SCSI/SATA disks or IDE disks. However, given the libata framework in the
> kernel, I'm questioning whether or not this is still appropriate.
>
> My proposal: start using /dev/sd* everywhere, for all arches. We would
> still keep the descriptive hb-install-filesystems.xml include, as that
> talks about libata and SATA and IDE, but we could greatly simplify our
> handbook by just moving to sd* everywhere.
>
> Wait until after release to do this, though. Thoughts?

Wait until after the release and then do it.

With regards,

Łukasz Damentko