-   Gentoo Documentation (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/)
-   -   Updated date in handbook (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/614898-updated-date-handbook.html)

Matthew Summers 12-29-2011 01:35 PM

Updated date in handbook

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Something else I noticed is that we sometimes get questions in #gentoo or
> even #gentoo-doc about the "Updated" date of the Gentoo Handbook(s). Because
> of how things work, the displayed date on the handbook pages is always the
> one that is for the given file.
>
> In case of the index page, this is a somewhat old(er) version as the index
> page hardly changes. Yet that is the "Updated" version most people look at.
>
> Would it be okay if I updated doc-struct.xsl so that for handbooks, the
> updated version always matches the latest update?
>
> Other possibilities are:
> - On the index page, display the latest update, but on individual chapters,
> *keep the current used date
> - Don't touch anything and stop harassing me with your suggestions
>

> * * * *Sven Vermeulen

Another option, although I hate to add it, would be always update the
date on the index page when anything gets updated. However that is
sort of silly. I support updating doc-struct.xsl

Cheers,
Matt
--
Matthew W. Summers
Gentoo Foundation Inc.

Matthew Summers 12-29-2011 01:35 PM

Updated date in handbook

Duncan 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

Updated date in handbook

Sven Vermeulen posted on Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:27:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> Something else I noticed is that we sometimes get questions in #gentoo
> or even #gentoo-doc about the "Updated" date of the Gentoo Handbook(s).
> Because of how things work, the displayed date on the handbook pages is
> always the one that is for the given file.
>
> In case of the index page, this is a somewhat old(er) version as the
> index page hardly changes. Yet that is the "Updated" version most people
> look at.
>
> Would it be okay if I updated doc-struct.xsl so that for handbooks, the
> updated version always matches the latest update?
>
> Other possibilities are:
> - On the index page, display the latest update, but on individual
> chapters, keep the current used date

* What about simply prepending the single word "Page" to the existing
"Updated <date>"? Because lacking that, the current dates on the index
pages really do look like they apply to the whole thing, while "Page
Updated" is both clear enough and similar enough to the same mechanism as
I've seen it on other sites, that it should go quite a way toward
eliminating the confusion.

Sven Vermeulen 12-29-2011 04:15 PM

Updated date in handbook

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 04:07:18PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> * What about simply prepending the single word "Page" to the existing
> "Updated <date>"? Because lacking that, the current dates on the index
> pages really do look like they apply to the whole thing, while "Page
> Updated" is both clear enough and similar enough to the same mechanism as
> I've seen it on other sites, that it should go quite a way toward
> eliminating the confusion.

Good suggestion, I like... err +1... err Duncan++...

Sven Vermeulen 12-31-2011 08:28 PM

Updated date in handbook

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 04:07:18PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> * What about simply prepending the single word "Page" to the existing
> "Updated <date>"? Because lacking that, the current dates on the index
> pages really do look like they apply to the whole thing, while "Page
> Updated" is both clear enough and similar enough to the same mechanism as
> I've seen it on other sites, that it should go quite a way toward
> eliminating the confusion.

I didn't hear any other complaints against this, so I went ahead with this
suggestion.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen