Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Joshua Saddler

Default Portage per-package environment/behavior

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:14:49 +0100
Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@siphos.be> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I noticed we don't describe in the handbook that Portage can have
> per-package environment variables (like CFLAGS)
> through /etc/portage/env. This can be even (ab?)used to execute
> steps before or after specific phases (based on the EBUILD_PHASE
> information), something I use for updating IDS systems
> (postinst/prerm phase).
>
> But I'm not sure if and where in the handbook this can be
> positioned best. The environment variable stuff could be placed in
> the section on "Environment Variables", but is quite off from the
> rest of the content (since the rest of that chapter has nothing
> really to do with Portage or build environments).
>
> "Configuring through Variables" is probably the best location
> (somewhere in the beginning as we talk there about Build-specific
> Options), but I do feel that this particular feature is already
> more targeting advanced users, where the location in the handbook
> somewhat suggests this for more beginner-like types.
>
> Perhaps another section in "Working with Portage", called "Advanced
> Portage Features" or so? This can then contain the per-package env
> information, but also overriding profile information and perhaps
> others we don't talk about yet.
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> Sven

per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been
actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed
RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as
such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Sven Vermeulen

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:13:59PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
> feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been
> actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed
> RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as
> such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.

I disagree. It is actively being suggested on #gentoo, and we already
document features that could (or even will) result in RESO:WONTFIX, like
using ~arch (both for a small set of packages as well as the entire system).

I would rather have a <warn> in place then that sais it will hinder support
during bug reports and might result in RESO:WONTFIX unless the user removes
the specific settings and rebuilds with the system ones.

Not documenting is, in my opinion, a lesser solution than documenting and
saying why it is bad.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Duncan

Joshua Saddler posted on Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:13:59 -0800 as excerpted:

> per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
> feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been
> actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed RESO
> WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as such, we
> shouldn't be documenting how to do it.

You are correct that it used to be that way, but isn't that what emerge
--info <pkg> was designed to fix and why portage's error messages are
far more specific now about both that and various log files that should
be posted than they used to be?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Joshua Saddler

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 08:59:25 +0000
Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:13:59PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> > per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
> > feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have
> > been actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs
> > closed RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been
> > detected. as such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.
>
> I disagree. It is actively being suggested on #gentoo, and we
> already document features that could (or even will) result in
> RESO:WONTFIX, like using ~arch (both for a small set of packages as
> well as the entire system).

and who's suggesting it on #gentoo? users? devs? we need to talk to
the portage team and anyone else that would have to troubleshoot
build fixes caused by (ab)using it. if we get the okay from them,
then something like your proposed text should be added to the
handbook.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Sven Vermeulen

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:54:20AM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> > I disagree. It is actively being suggested on #gentoo, and we
> > already document features that could (or even will) result in
> > RESO:WONTFIX, like using ~arch (both for a small set of packages as
> > well as the entire system).
>
> and who's suggesting it on #gentoo? users? devs? we need to talk to
> the portage team and anyone else that would have to troubleshoot
> build fixes caused by (ab)using it. if we get the okay from them,
> then something like your proposed text should be added to the
> handbook.

I'll bring it through -dev just to be sure.

Regarding #gentoo suggestions, a quick grep in my logs shows it being
mentinoed about twice a week, mostly by users (there aren't that many
developers on it) but also a few developers (amongst some in the qa team).

Of course, that's not considering the context of the discussion - it may be
very well a specific scenario there.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen