-   Gentoo Documentation (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/)
-   -   RFC: removal of digest files from the tree (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-documentation/44109-rfc-removal-digest-files-tree.html)

Davide Cendron 01-31-2008 08:12 PM

Il Thursday 31 January 2008 02:00:36 Robin H. Johnson ha scritto:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 04:14:48PM -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > It really is best done in the tree first, so everything is correct for
> > the snapshot. We didn't have much issue last time because we push
> > "manifest1_obsolete" into the snapshot, so digests are removed, anyway,
> > but I'd *really* prefer if this were done prior to the snapshot being
> > made.
>
> Ok, so we're just blocking on the docs guys.
>
> Are they actively working on it so I can go ahead and take the digests
> out anyway?

jkt has recently committed some fix:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/bugzilla-howto.xml?r1=1.10&r2=1.11
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml?r1=1.66&r2=1.67
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/handbook/hb-working-portage.xml?r1=1.68&r2=1.69

I don't know exactly how many other docs must be changed accordingly, it's
better to ping some GDP member to get a better feedback.

Cheers,

--
Davide Cendron

Gentoo Documentation Project
Italian Lead Translator

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/it/

Davide Cendron 01-31-2008 08:12 PM

Jan Kundrát 01-31-2008 08:57 PM

Davide Cendron wrote:
>> Ok, so we're just blocking on the docs guys.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, nobody asked us to fix stuff.
Preferred way would be filing a bug to the docs-team that says "hey,
we're gonna deprecate all digests, could you please fix your crap so
that it doesn't recommend running `ebuild foo digest`?", but other
methods like mailing the -dev ML or pinging us on irc are fine, too.

If you don't want to be held back by our inactivity, you have to let us
know :).

Also note that docs team is responsible for files that are under
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/ and *nothing else*. If there's a bug in some
other document that is on our web nodes, like for example the Devrel
Handbook, we leave it to their maintainers (devrel here) to fix it. If
such team says "hey, fell free to fix whatever you want", I'm sure some
GDP members (including rane myself) will gladly help, but right now, the
policy is "we got a bug that speaks about stuff under /proj/ -> reassign".

(As a side note, we have that great devmanual which seems a lot more
useful than the ebuild part of the devrel handbook, perhaps it's time to
reconsider their roles. And yeah, I've brought this to devrel's
attention and don't count on them following -dev :). )

> I don't know exactly how many other docs must be changed accordingly, it's
> better to ping some GDP member to get a better feedback.

Quick grep suggests that these needs fixing:

proj/en/desktop/games/games-ebuild-HOWTO.txt
proj/en/devrel/handbook/hb-guide-ebuild.xml
proj/en/devrel/handbook/hb-introduction-new-devs.xml
proj/en/devrel/new-dev-training.xml

I'm sure that rane will get someone from the devrel to fix them :)

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Jan Kundrát 01-31-2008 08:57 PM

"Robin H. Johnson" 01-31-2008 10:09 PM

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:57:01PM +0100, Jan Kundr?t wrote:
> Davide Cendron wrote:
> >> Ok, so we're just blocking on the docs guys.
> Well, to the best of my knowledge, nobody asked us to fix stuff.
> Also note that docs team is responsible for files that are under
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/ and *nothing else*.
nightmorph was the one that suggested doc changes were needed in /doc/:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_40d4cdd191d19898e5231410a7a512b6.xml

zmedico gave this document pointer about what users with old systems
need to know:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_038fd120fd1150be8d64500edf9cd851.xml

--
Robin Hugh Johnson