Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Anant Narayanan

Default Translations for GMN

Hi,

Some of you may have heard about the transition to a monthly
newsletter (GMN) instead of the weekly newsletter. We'd like to try
this out for a while to see how it pans out.

This email is a call for translators for the GMN. I'd like to do some
co-ordination to make sure that we publish the translations as quickly
as possible. Here's my plan (I don't know how things were done with
the GWN, so feel free to suggest changes):

1) The GMN is scheduled to be published on the 3rd monday of every
month. Deadline for new articles will be the preceding friday and I
will send a draft version to -core on Sunday.

2) Simultaneously, I will also email -doc with a link to the draft
version, so you can begin translating.

3) There may a few (minor) changes between the draft version and the
final version, but the final version won't be published until Monday,
00:00 UTC. You can push the final translated version whenever you're
done.

4) I will link to http://www.gentoo.org/news/<lang>/gmn/gmn.xml in
every issue. (Note the change in directory - gwn to gmn). The english
version of the GMN index page can be found at http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml
(for translation reference).

Could someone from the docs team make sure that the feeds are still
generated properly? The /cvsroot/news/en/gmn directory has already
been created, but I didn't want to do anything related to feed
generation without asking you folks first

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Regards,
Anant

Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Xavier Neys

Some of you may have heard about the transition to a monthly newsletter
(GMN) instead of the weekly newsletter. We'd like to try this out for a
while to see how it pans out.

Thanks for picking up the pieces of the GWN and turning it into a GMN.
FYI, we do docs, not news.

This email is a call for translators for the GMN. I'd like to do some
co-ordination to make sure that we publish the translations as quickly
as possible. Here's my plan (I don't know how things were done with the
GWN, so feel free to suggest changes):

We also translate docs, not news.
Some translators obviously contribute to both, some don't.
You're posting to the wrong audience.

1) The GMN is scheduled to be published on the 3rd monday of every
month. Deadline for new articles will be the preceding friday and I will
send a draft version to -core on Sunday.

Not really our problem, but I have a hunch many hope that a monthly deadline
would allow for a bit more time to comment on draft versions.

2) Simultaneously, I will also email -doc with a link to the draft
version, so you can begin translating.

I doubt many would really want to translate anything that is going to change.

3) There may a few (minor) changes between the draft version and the
final version, but the final version won't be published until Monday,
00:00 UTC. You can push the final translated version whenever you're done.

Translators want the final version, tracking changes between your draft and
the final version is a PITA.

4) I will link to http://www.gentoo.org/news/<lang>/gmn/gmn.xml in every
issue. (Note the change in directory - gwn to gmn). The english version
of the GMN index page can be found at
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml (for translation reference).

At the moment, 100% dead links, please do not commit any link to anything that
hasn't been committed yet.

Could someone from the docs team make sure that the feeds are still
generated properly? The /cvsroot/news/en/gmn directory has already been
created, but I didn't want to do anything related to feed generation
without asking you folks first

Docs team do docs, not feeds, but it's something I can help you with provided
you have the following problem fixed for me:

/var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml,v <-- gmn.xml
cvs [commit aborted]: could not open lock file
`/var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/news/en/gmn/,gmn.xml,': Permission denied

You'll have the same request from translators every time a new language is
added. I still think you should have kept GWN for Gentoo World News.

Cheers,
--
/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Anant Narayanan

Hi again,

4) I will link to http://www.gentoo.org/news/<lang>/gmn/gmn.xml in
every issue. (Note the change in directory - gwn to gmn). The
english version of the GMN index page can be found at http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml
(for translation reference).

I just found out that gwn.xml was named wrongly in the past - so we're
going back to index.xml.
That means links in the GMN will be to http://www.gentoo.org/news/
<lang>/gmn/index.xml.

Thanks!