Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Xavier Neys

Default 2007.1 Handbook mojo / include feature

>>> The logic is chapters, sections and bodies can all be included, i.e. they
>>> either have the current structure or contain a single <include href=""/>
>>> element. A chapter can include chapters, a section can include sections and a
>>> body can include bodies.
>> Awesome. So the includes are all inline, and don't need to be specified
>> in the handbook-$arch.xml files.
>
> They appear where they are supposed to be included, just like in the current
> handbook format, e.g. a <chapter> either contains its content as it does now
> *xor* a single <include> element that points to an xml files that contains
> chapter(s).
>
> Including chapters in a guide:
>
> <chapter id="foo" test="1">
> <include href="bar.xml"/>
> </chapter>
>
> or in a handbook:
>
> <section id="foo" test="1">
> <include href="bar.xml"/>
> </section>
>
> The included file is expected to contain one or more <chapter>
>

> Including sections in a guide:
>
> <section id="foo" test="1">
> <include href="bar.xml"/>
> </section>
>
> or in a handbook:
>
> <subsection id="foo" test="1">
> <include href="bar.xml"/>
> </subsection>
>
> The included file is expected to contain one or more <section>
>

> Including bodies:

> <include href="bar.xml"/>
>
> The included file is expected to contain one or more <body>

***
Read the above explanation again, twice, because that's the only documentation
available at the moment
***

> BTW, I still think it sucks to have different names for the same things in
> guides and books, and even more to have the same names for different things

Still does.

> Conditional still apply to the same elements, nothing's changed at all.
> Nothing is preventing an included chapter from including sections.
>
> Please note that it's very much useless to factor out just a couple of
> sentences. It adds unnecessary complexity and it makes it harder to evaluate
> the impact of a change to a shared file.
>
> It won't be available for the next release and it wouldn't be reasonable to
> implement this right before a release.

Since Gentoo does not have any releases... ;-)

I had a full day at home and I thought I could get this done.
DTDs and XSLs have been edited.
x86 guick guides (normal & raid+lvm2) make use of this feature.
If you notice anything weird, think again, then ask/file a bug, I probably
forgot something.

FYI, <pre> in handbooks are now numbered exactly as they are in normal guides,
and they are unique in ?full=1 versions.

Happy New Year,
--
/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project