Old 11-28-2008, 07:43 AM
"Behzat Erte"

Default Handbook,Devbook,etc to PDF conversation

Hello everyone,

I still searching everywhere about this case but I do not have any
solution yet.

Is this possible ?

Regards,
Behzat.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Jan Kundrát

Behzat Erte wrote:

I still searching everywhere about this case but I do not have any
solution yet.

It used to be possible some years ago, but nobody felt the need to
maintain the stylesheets, so nope, it isn't possible anymore.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Old 11-28-2008, 07:57 AM
"Douglas Anderson"

I still searching everywhere about this case but I do not have any

solution yet.

It used to be possible some years ago, but nobody felt the need to maintain the stylesheets, so nope, it isn't possible anymore.

Cheers,

-jkt

--

cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf, like something like this:

or saving and opening the html page in openoffice, then exporting to pdf, or....... ?

-Doug

Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Jan Kundrát

Douglas Anderson wrote:

But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf

We don't want to provide a PDF just "so that we have a PDF", so printing
a web page to PDF is not really an option.

If you want to improve your XSLT-FO skills, feel free to write the
stylesheets; if you manage to use only the technologies that are already
available on our web nodes (nope, we won't open HTML in OpenOffice,
thank you), we can give it a try.

But there's no point in generating "a PDF" without all fancy features
like a book-like layout, inter-document links etc.

Why do you *need* the PDF at all?

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 AM
"Behzat Erte"

Hello again,

I want to printing all related gentoo books and reduce to -really-
book. At this juncture PDF type is a example. May be it should be djvu
or something else type.

Regards,
Behzat.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:10 AM
"Douglas Anderson"

But there should be plenty of ways to go html > pdf

We don't want to provide a PDF just "so that we have a PDF", so printing a web page to PDF is not really an option.

If you want to improve your XSLT-FO skills, feel free to write the stylesheets; if you manage to use only the technologies that are already available on our web nodes (nope, we won't open HTML in OpenOffice, thank you), we can give it a try.

But there's no point in generating "a PDF" without all fancy features like a book-like layout, inter-document links etc.

Why do you *need* the PDF at all?

Cheers,

-jkt

--

cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Jan, sorry I kind of overquoted in my last mail, I wasn't really replying to you. Obviously gentoo isn't going to open pages in oo! I was saying to Behzat that, for whatever reason, if he needs a one-off copy of the handbook in PDF, there are a few ways to make it by going off the html version instead of straight from guidexml to pdf.

-Doug

Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 AM
"Behzat Erte"

Thanks Douglas,

I want to say this exactly.

Regards,
Behzat.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Josh Saddler

> Jan, sorry I kind of overquoted in my last mail, I wasn't really
> replying to you. Obviously gentoo isn't going to open pages in oo! I was
> saying to Behzat that, for whatever reason, if he needs a one-off copy
> of the handbook in PDF, there /are/ a few ways to make it by going off
> the html version instead of straight from guidexml to pdf.

Assuming such a thing is possible and works as well as the HTML
generated from the original GuideXML, then scripts that do this would be
appreciated.

Right now the closest thing you'll get to a "print" layout is the one we
made that's suitable for, well, printing:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?style=printable&full=1

Append ?style=printable&full=1 to the desired architecture. That's about
as far as we can go. If someone can turn this (or the original web
layout) into a *useful* PDF via scripts, please provide 'em.