Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Tobias Scherbaum

Default Nagios 3 guide

Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > At this moment, I'm waiting for Nagios 3 to become stable on Gentoo so
> > that I can rerun the guide over again on a clean install (to make sure
> > no errors are in it) but please, everybody with some experience with
> > Nagios and some free time, take a look at the document
> > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nagios-guide.xml) and add in some
> > paragraphs on topics you want to see added as well.

I'm going to file a stable request for our architectures teams somewhen
next week probably. I'll take a look at that guide and also reference it
in the postinstall-note

> I was planning on giving you some CVS diffs. ;]

dito

> > Dertobi wanted to see a chapter on extending the installation - if you
> > have a few pointers I don't mind taking a stab at this as well.

pointers are pnp4nagios and nagvis - integrating pnp4nagios is quite
simple, i'll send in a diff this weekend. As for nagvis i'm working on
an ebuild right now, also integration this is a bit more complicated,
that's something for an 1.1 version of this guide.

> Well, Tobias mentioned the nagios-plugins-snmp package in the tree.
> I've got something like 20 or 30 more Nagios-related packages in my
> company's overlay. I didn't add them to the tree because I didn't want
> to maintain them, knowing that I was close to retirement.
>
> I *do* plan on making the packages available via an overlay. Hopefully,
> they'll be picked up by someone from the netmon team and added to the
> tree.

Point me to an overlay and i'll take a look at it. It's my motivation to
make the Nagios integration into Gentoo as best as possible. With
integrating lots of useful plugins we make a huge difference to other
distributions which in most cases only include the nagios-plugins
package and that's it.

> I guess that I should also mention that I have several modifications to
> Nagios' ebuilds, along with Cacti (and several other SNMP management
> packages) which I will also be making available. I've been working on
> an extension to the HOST-RESOURCES MIB to get package information and
> export it via SNMP, much like is done on RPM-based distributions, but
> it's taking a bit longer than I had originally anticipated. That's
> honestly the only "Gentoo-specific" items that I can recall which
> someone would want.

Interested in that

Tobias