Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
"Brett Meadors"

Default Helping Out

Hey Guys(and Gals),

I have been reading up and begun helping out with the
portage project with their documentation, and I would really like to get
involved with the Documentation team as both a active contributor and editor.
Please let me know what I can do to help, what projects need some attention,
and how I can be of help.

*

Have a wonderful evening,

Brett Meadors

Student Assistant I

HEHD Technical Support

(864)940-7711

*

Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Josh Saddler

Brett Meadors wrote:
I have been reading up and begun helping out with the portage project
with their documentation, and I would really like to get involved with
the Documentation team as both a active contributor and editor. Please
let me know what I can do to help, what projects need some attention,
and how I can be of help.

Speaking of Portage . . . one of the things with Portage 2.2, which is
now in ~arch, is that our Portage Handbook and related documentation in
gentoo.org/doc/en/ will need to be updated. 2.2, once stable, will give
everyone capabilities like user-defined sets, new behavior of the world
and system sets, FEATURES like preserve-rebuild (or whatever they ended
up calling it), and more.

Though I've heard via third parties that some of the Portage developers
plan to help out with updating this documentation, we haven't heard from
them yet. So, if you want to, head on over to the GDP page, at
http://gdp.gentoo.org. We have resources there on how to write GuideXML.
Armed with this knowledge, you'd be ready to tackle the updates needed
for the Portage handbook, which starts here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2

Lots and lots of stuff to jump into. Or, if you'd rather take a break
from Portage docs, just jump into bugzilla (http://bugs.gentoo.org) and
search for open Documentation and Docs-user bugs that are assigned
to/CCed to docs-team@gentoo.org. Just poke at whatever you want to do;
any and all help is welcome. Happy hunting.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
"Matthew Summers; CEO, Liquidus Tech, LLC"

Josh Saddler wrote:

Brett Meadors wrote:
[...]

Josh,

I was told to talk to you about gentoo related graphics. I have a hardened badge I made for our main site, that might be cool to include on
the graphics page, since there are no hardened badges that I have seen. Here's a direct link.
http://www.liquidustech.com/media_files/images/powered_by_hardened_gentoo_badge.png

Still could use some more work, but its a good start.

Brett,

My company has two grad students technical writing interns working on Gentoo docs this summer. I know they would love some additional
assistance. Currently we are working on SAN Multipath doc with Joshua Jackson (tsunam), some hardened gentoo docs, bluetooth doc updates,
autotools doc creation, and himerge (portage gui) docs. If any of these sound interesting, please contact me. There is aways room for more
too. I would personally like to be a part of updating the portage docs.

Best Regards,

Matthew Summers
--
Matthew W. Summers

Chief Executive Officer & Systems Engineer
Liquidus Tech, LLC
218 1/2 Park Central West
Springfield, MO 65806
(417) 894-2607
matthew.summers@liquidustech.com
www.liquidustech.com

Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Josh Saddler

Matthew Summers; CEO, Liquidus Tech, LLC wrote:

Josh,

I was told to talk to you about gentoo related graphics. I have a
hardened badge I made for our main site, that might be cool to include
on the graphics page, since there are no hardened badges that I have
seen. Here's a direct link.
http://www.liquidustech.com/media_files/images/powered_by_hardened_gentoo_badge.png

Done, thanks for the artwork!

Check http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/graphics.xml

Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 PM
"Brett Meadors"

Hey Matt, I would be glad to help out in some regard or another, possibly with updating documentation. In concerns with portage, they've been wanting me to help get the documents converted from man pages to Doc-book, so if you have any interest with that, I'd be more than glad to coordinate with you on it.

Brett Meadors
Student Assistant I
HEHD Technical Support
(864)940-7711

Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
"Matthew Summers; CEO, Liquidus Tech, LLC"

Brett,
This sounds doable. So,have you already extracted the man pages? Can you send me a tarball
containing what you have, I would like to help out with this. I can be found on IRC as well using
the nick "quantumsummers", usually in gentoo-hardened, gentoo-userrel all the time. Lets try to get
something moving on this as soon as you have the time. I can move the interns around fairly easily,
so we can be flexible. Look forward to it!

Cheers,
Matt

Old 07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
"Brett Meadors"

I haven't had the chance to yet. I'm working off campus(which is where my working machines are) so I'm working through a slow VPN, but I will be more than glad to start extracting them Monday when I get to work .

Brett Meadors
Student Assistant I
HEHD Technical Support
(864)940-7711

[...]

Any work on this? I was able to get the man pages from trunk. Starting
to format as GuideXML, well the interns are. Let me know if you still
want to work on this with us, or if you have some work completed.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
"Alejandro Paredes"

Hi.

I have been a Kubuntu user for a little over a year and I love it. But
I want to help out in which every way is possible. I know C, C++, and
Java, not perfectly but I can make my way through. I like to try new
things and also see that they work and if the don't see how I can fix
it. So if anyone one can direct me on what to do and how can help (I
am up for anything) it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Alejandro

--
"and remember don't take life to seriously..."