Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Christian Hoffmann

Default USE=threads vs. USE=threadsafe

Heya,

while I was emerging dev-libs/sqlite, I noticed that it uses
USE=threadsafe to distinguish between threadsafe and non-threadsafe
builds. While this is not strange per-se, lots of (?) other packages
seem to make that decision based on USE=threads (dev-lang/php,
dev-db/postgresql-base, ...).
I think we should be consistent here, i.e. either change the two
packages, which are using USE=threadsafe (dev-libs/sqlite and
dev-lang/spidermonkey), to use "threads" instead or the other way round.
I guess the easiest way would be to move from "threadsafe" to "threads",
but I'm not sure whether this is really the better alternative.
"threadsafe" sounds more appropriate to me in those cases, but there
would probably be a huge amount of work required to change that.
Now the question is: What do you think is the better way of making this
consistent?

--
Christian Hoffmann

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:25:29 +0200
Christian Hoffmann <hoffie@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I think we should be consistent here

You may also want to consider the following:
threadsonly [dev-libs/boost]
ithreads [sys-devel/libperl]
orathreads [dev-libs/libsqlora8]
frnothreads [net-dialup/freeradius]

Kind regards,
JeR

Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Jeroen Roovers

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:37:40 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:

> You may also want to consider the following:
> threadsonly [dev-libs/boost]
> ithreads [sys-devel/libperl]
> orathreads [dev-libs/libsqlora8]
> frnothreads [net-dialup/freeradius]

According to https://bugs.gentoo.org/224729 , smp [media-gfx/gimp]
should perhaps also be considered.

Kind regards,
JeR

Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Tiziano Müller

Jeroen Roovers wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:25:29 +0200
> Christian Hoffmann <hoffie@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I think we should be consistent here
>
> You may also want to consider the following:
> threadsonly [dev-libs/boost]
No, you don't want to: That flag got removed in later versions and will fade
out together with the old version.

Cheers,
Tiziano