Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Mike Auty

Default RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS

Old 06-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Rémi Cardona

Ulrich Mueller a écrit :

Speaking about statistics: Either I have missed it, or so far nobody
has presented any solid numbers showing what the benefit of
--as-needed in terms of memory usage or program startup time is.

The reduction in startup time may not be noticeable.

The real win is when low level libs change ABI, like expat. On a
standard Gnome system, without --as-needed, I had over 280 packages to
rebuild (that was a very slow Duron 700Mhz, I ended up moving to
--as-needed and did emerge -e world).

On my other box which had had --as-needed for a while (so some useless
rebuild could have been further avoided), I only had around 45 packages.

And for the sake of the thread, had libtool been smarter, I'm sure that
the final number could have gone down to 20 or so packages.

My opinion:
- we need --as-needed because it's useful (maybe ld could echo the
libs that's it's dropping and then we could have a QA warning?)

- we *do* need to fix libtool too
- we need to make sure upstream packages provide correct .pc files

Just a thought

Rémi