Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Ulrich Mueller

Default RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS

[Answering to some random message in this long thread.]

> So... folks have pointed out a benefit to using --as-needed.
> The benefit itself doesn't seem particularly in dispute, analyze
> the fallout from it- if the best that is offered is "the spec says
> otherwise", screw the spec frankly- a .01% breakage w/ 99.99% pkgs
> getting a positive gain is a strong argument for doing exemptions
> where needed.

Speaking about statistics: Either I have missed it, or so far nobody
has presented any solid numbers showing what the benefit of
--as-needed in terms of memory usage or program startup time is.

Could someone please show this comparison for some common programs?

I've just done this for Emacs (22.2-r2), virtual set size directly
after startup is 25280 and 25276 kB, for Emacs built without and with
--as-needed, respectively (resident set size is 14412 and 14396 kB).
I don't see any difference in startup time.

But maybe Emacs is an uncommon application, or I am looking for the
wrong things? Could one of the experts please shed some light on this?

Ulrich